No. of employees

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

kngc
Industry Sector: Health and Social Care

No. of employees

Post by kngc »

We all know the rule for 5 or more employees BUT ........ and here comes the possibly daft question!

Does this apply when you have 2 full time staff and then take on say 4 seasonal staff through the winter only?

Thx K
Safety is no accident!
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: No. of employees

Post by stephen1974 »

IMO yes, and even if it was no, you are bringing in temporary workers for a busy period who are going to be inexperienced and I bet your 2 full time members do not have the time to properly train and supervise them and thefore written procedures for risk assessments, safe systems of work, emergency procedures etc etc are pretty important to ensure their safety.
abarnett
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @adb82
Industry Sector: Warehousing

Post by abarnett »

I would also say yes and agree totally with the point stephen makes. concentrating solely on the law, the requirement is set out as an absolute one and there is no derogation set in to the legislation for different contract types. Therefore, if you have more than 4 employees then you must have the information in written form - even if that staffing level is only on a seasonal basis.
Safety doesn't happen by accident
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

I would say absolutely yes.

On top of that, If you employ more than one person and you aren't writing down your RAs (remembering that you have to complete them no matter what, it's only the recording that is mandated by hitting 5), then you are asking for trouble unless you are confident that you could reel them off – from memory – in a courtroom.

They don't have to be huge, but I'd pretty much always want them in writing!
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
kngc
Industry Sector: Health and Social Care

Post by kngc »

Perfect, just as I suspected ......... and to add, I would say a moral responsibility to that as well
Safety is no accident!

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy