NEBOSH refresher training

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

kngc
Industry Sector: Health and Social Care

NEBOSH refresher training

Post by kngc »

Appreciating that the NEBOSH is for life, what refresher training do you offer for this, if you do

For IOSH Managing Safely we offer a refresher every 3 years but I am not sure if anyone does anything for NEBOSH that would be suitable (I have considered IOSH MS but am concerned that this may be a bit tedious in the eyes of a refresher!)

TIA

K
Safety is no accident!
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: NEBOSH refresher training

Post by WillPool »

Currently there is no NEBOSH Refresher ../.

For me personally its all about continual professional development (CPD), where you refresh what you have learned by reading, attending seminars, researching a workplace issue, continuing growth by additional courses and learning etc etc

Since I did the NEBOSH Cert I have completed many other courses, to supplement my growth/learning.

I converted the Gen Cert to the Construction Cert, then did NEBOSH Diploma, since then I have added many other courses ISO 9001 Lead Auditor, 14001 auditor, 45001 auditor, Environmental management course, management diploma, NRSWA Supervisor, Temp works coordinator the list goes on and on.

In all of these I learned new information as well as refreshed old learning as well as remembering other aspects of my job/learning.

Hope this helps

Will .slaut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
PaulDonaldson
Trainer of all, master of none
Trainer of all, master of none
Twitter: safety-heart

Post by PaulDonaldson »

I agree with Will. No refresher is required for NEBOSH as its meant to be up to you to do your CPD. Daily use of what you learned on the course should help keep you current. Again I agree that IOSH MS would bore people into submission if they have already done NEBOSH.
Paul
If you do what you always done, you will get what you always got.
http://www.safety-heart.co.uk Lets us put safety at the HEART of your business
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

You have to realise there is a conceptual difference between IOSH and NEBOSH courses.

The IOSH is designed to be at a level where delegates are not advancing their knowledge. Think of it like FAW Training, every 3 years the same people do a refresher to maintain their skills.

NEBOSH courses are more like formal education which you build upon, and the route you take depends on how your career/options pan out.

So some will build their skill set with more courses, while others will stay at the level they are at, but maintain their currency by keeping up to date with developments.
While some will think that the one course is all they need and calmly plod along until something happens to wake them up.... ;)

IOSH Managing Safety is certainly not a course to be done after a NEBOSH Certificate. A waste of time and money for anyone to consider that as an option.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

kngc

Post by kngc »

Thanks all. As I suspected there is nothing out there that would suit the personnel I require it for

Thx K
Safety is no accident!
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

I don't think refresher training would be needed, as people have said before, it is more about CPD. If you have a truly active H&S role, you will be constantly learning and reviewing and investigating and in the process of this you will be getting exposed to all the things you need.

If you are in a H&S role where its limited largely to compliance checks, same thing month in month out with little variation, then I could see a need for refresher training, if, you wanted to change roles and do something else you are less familiar with.
abarnett
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @adb82
Industry Sector: Warehousing

Post by abarnett »

Kngc,

what's your scenario - without knowing the learning need it's difficult to say what might/might not work for you in terms of options...?

Andy
Safety doesn't happen by accident
kngc

Post by kngc »

In short this is for Facilities Managers who have opted for NEBOSH in a previous life and wish to keep their knowledge / CPD up to date but do not necessarily use H&S on a daily basis 'as such' - it looks like I will be going down the internal training / refresher to address this properly, so that changes in legislation are picked up etc!
Safety is no accident!
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

In a previous life, I used to attend the EBIS Workshops which are held annually for legislation updates etc, I used them for CPD, also found them reasonably informative.

http://www.ebis-hse.com/Occupational_He ... _p/ohl.htm

I am pretty sure there will be other providers out there. As an IOSH/IIRSM Member you also get a discount

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
abarnett
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @adb82
Industry Sector: Warehousing

Post by abarnett »

There's the Elementary Health and Safety course which is a single day course set by REHIS (Royal Environmental Health Institute Scotland) that is level 2 (QCF) / level 5 (SCQF) that covers a large proportion of the NEBOSH syllabus - this could potentially serve as a refresher if that's what you are looking to achieve? The link to the course syllabus is here https://www.rehis.com/sites/default/fil ... 2017_0.pdf
Safety doesn't happen by accident

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy