Looking for help to get up to speed/safety cultures

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

GaddyDaddy

Looking for help to get up to speed/safety cultures

Post by GaddyDaddy »

Hi all.

I'm looking for a bit of help and advice.

I passed the NEBOSH NGC a while back and I'm now looking for jobs in the indistry.

My current role is as an operations assistant - I used to be an operations manager, but the industry I work in went through a bad period and the company I'm with had to cut back a lot.
Unfortunately, I made a bad decision to stick around. Now I feel a bit trapped.

I've got some experience of h+s from my current and recent positions, but it feels ungrounded. Since my company has been struggling, we've made a lot of backward steps and now it's being operated very poorly with regards to standards.
I'm not able to draw any current relavent experience, or practice what I've learnt, and worse, my day-to-day job is quite negative in terms of safety culture, to the point its having an impact on my safety awareness.

I've applied for a safety coordinator role as I believe that's the level I should be starting from. However, I feel I just wouldn't be anywhere near up to speed.
While I've successfully completed the NGC, I feel I would struggle to utilise what I've learnt from the course and I'd find myself out of my depth in a h+s role.

Ideally, I'm looking for other h+s communities, both on and offline. Places where I can read or discuss safety with people actively in the industry, to calibrate my outlook on safety.
This forum is amazing, but I'm pretty much done reading through the posts on here.

I'm also looking for advice with regards to the first rungs on the h+s ladder.
Would you recommend other positions than the coordinator roles as a starting step?

I'm on linkedin and Facebook and live in the North East of England.

Any help is very much appreciated.
Godscrasher
Student
Student

Re: Looking for help to get up to speed/safety cultures

Post by Godscrasher »

Also from the North East of England here, live in Newcastle work in Teesside. I've been in H&S for around 10 years now and I'm happy to help out.

I'll send you a private message for LinkedIn.

The only thing I can suggest is joining IOSH (or other bodies) and using that platform to network at events.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

GD, why not try approaching Consultancy's for shadow positions or even part-time roles?

Quite a few HSfB people like yourself have applied for Consultancy roles and gained a lot of hands-on experience this way. Perhaps not the ideal job, but you would see various scenarios and understand how to put your NGC into practice.

If this interested you as a way forward in your H&S career, sign up to LinkedIn and make it known you would be interested. I have seen this work very well via that platform.

Good Luck GD. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

Our Facebook Group might be of use also...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Health. ... 0937914892

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy