Definition of an industrial unit

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Definition of an industrial unit

Post by stephen1974 »

This is in regards to fixed wiring inspection, where for office and shop type places its 5 years but for industrial units its 3 years.

Looking at a car dealership you have 3 different areas, the showroom, the parts store and the body shop. Would the body shop be considered industrial? yes/no and why? I came across a distribution board the other day where the electrician has said the next inspection should be in 3 years and the only reason i can think of is he is classing the body shop as industrial. I've never seen any other electrician delcare 3 years.

The definition of industrial I've seen is manufacturing, processing and assembly. I don't really think repairs qualify for that and other people I have spoken to agree and have never seen any other site saying 3 years for fixed wiring. Just wondering if we are all missing a more detailed definition of what constitutes an industrial unit.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: Definition of an industrial unit

Post by bernicarey »

As this is in regards BS 7671 Wiring Regs, I guess it might be suitably explained in that document, unfortunately it is not in the online subscription for Glasgow Libraries, so can't be checked readily.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: Definition of an industrial unit

Post by stephen1974 »

7671 doesnt cover it as a definition, just says industrial 3 years.
IET Guidance Note 3 does the same.

Tried to look under council planning permissions and a body repair shop and this seems to suggest its light industrial.

I'm going to go with 3 years.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy