Use of IPAd and stylus - and Notes APP for taking notes and converting straight to Text

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Civil Eng, HV Elec, Remediation Soil/Wat

Use of IPAd and stylus - and Notes APP for taking notes and converting straight to Text

Post by TWDB »

Evening all,

I'm trying to get more efficient - well attempting too anyway.

I seem to spend a lot of time retyping and typing up my notes from meetings and inspections/ site audits -

I know the experienced will say just type in to template, but I'm walking round sites, picking up endless H&S issues/ and observations - I probably pick to much up.

So I am thinking of using the IPAD I have with a stylus to write into a Notes APP which I can save - and for audits hopefully convert into text which I can at the very least paste in to my audit document slight edit and send.

anyone got any experience on this/ ideas, tips etc

APPS to use (NEBO, Goodnotes, Notebility)

also what Stylus to use - does it have to be a apple pencil? = expensive

any other tips to be more efficient day to day

Hopefully above makes sense and is ok to post on here?
Regards
T
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: Use of IPAd and stylus - and Notes APP for taking notes and converting straight to Text

Post by stephen1974 »

What about speach recognition software? I'll be testing one out tomorrow. Just as a means of taking notes.
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Re: Use of IPAd and stylus - and Notes APP for taking notes and converting straight to Text

Post by Blackstone »

I don't use a stylus but use one note and type onto my ipad as I do audit or inspections. It syncs with the PC so you can just pull the text straight into other documents.
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

I have upgraded from a 2H pencil to a HB one, and now used a lined notepad rather than a reporters notebook.😉

I really do prefer pen and paper as it gives me absolute freedom to sketch plans. Plus other than losing my notes, there's no risk of an IT failing and wiping it

The irony is I work a lot with state of the art data centres, so am exposed to technology all the time. But I also see how vulnerable it can.be.

In any case, electronic devices and cameras aren't allowed inside, so a pen and paper is the only method
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

I downloaded a speech to taxt app yesterday and used it to take notes as I did a FRA. Not perfect but good enough that I could walk in to each room, describe it, get home and write things up. Deffinately beats typing notes in to a phone. As its just a freebie it cant do stuff like import in to documents or even be copied and pasted but it beats doing dictation where you have to listen to your weird sounding voice and if you say a lot you dont have to rewind and replay, its just all there in front of you.
David68
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: @Dyer0145
Industry Sector: manufacturing

Post by David68 »

Fountain pen, Rhodia dot pads and a good old HB Pencil are my tools of choice

I asked my intern if he wanted a new pad for a recent trip to Poland and he looked at me like I was an alien! He uses his iPad for notes, photos and goodness knows what else!
Grad IOSH - Tick
CMIOSH - one day! ../.
TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by TWDB »

David68 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:39 am Fountain pen, Rhodia dot pads and a good old HB Pencil are my tools of choice

I asked my intern if he wanted a new pad for a recent trip to Poland and he looked at me like I was an alien! He uses his iPad for notes, photos and goodness knows what else!
David68 can you ask him what App's he uses please

thanks
T
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by TWDB »

stephen1974 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:15 am I downloaded a speech to taxt app yesterday and used it to take notes as I did a FRA. Not perfect but good enough that I could walk in to each room, describe it, get home and write things up. Deffinately beats typing notes in to a phone. As its just a freebie it cant do stuff like import in to documents or even be copied and pasted but it beats doing dictation where you have to listen to your weird sounding voice and if you say a lot you dont have to rewind and replay, its just all there in front of you.
Hi Stephen1974

what was the speech recognition app you used?

thanks
T
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

A free download called Speechy. You can get a pro version for £6.99 as well (no idea if thats one off or monthly but I have seen a several speech to text apps asking for monthly subsciption)

I like it. YOu tap the record button, talk away, it translates to text right in front of you, you press stop and the note is created.
You do the same again for the next note. In the free version you cant edit your notes, it asks you to go pro for that, but i've found I dont need to edit them. Takes a little practice to make sure you pronounce your words right, but a few incorrect words wont matter, you can figure out what you ment very easily.

I'm going to have a look at stylus and notepad options as well. The whole tech thing could be very interesting.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy