Aluminium Tower safety devices

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Ewangoil
Student
Student

Aluminium Tower safety devices

Post by Ewangoil »

Can anyone tell me if an aluminium tower has to be tied in to the wall if its over a certain height and if so are there any bespoke devices for this? Any tie in devices i've seen have been for steel scaffold and i wonder if these would damage the aluminium.

Thanks all
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: Aluminium Tower safety devices

Post by bernicarey »

I think scaffold towers are designed to be free standing with the appropriate size bracing struts.
Generally, the higher they get the wider they are built.
Max height is around 14-15 mtrs.
But I'll defer to anyone with more experience of them.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Woodie
Master Craftsman
Master Craftsman
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Construction/Major Power

Post by Woodie »

I have never seen a Tower being tied in my years, and have always been freestanding, however you could refer to the PASMA website link below, which has many useful user manuals for the many different types of towers on the market.

https://pasma.co.uk/scaffold-towers/ins ... n-manuals/
Truth never damages a cause that is just. GANDHI (1869-1948)

http://nott-us.co.uk/
danwel
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Oil & Gas

Post by danwel »

As long as it is built in line with the instructions as suggested above it will be fine. Free standing scaffold towers can be built out of steel or aluminium in your case and perfectly fine.

For me the whole point of the aluminium towers are that they are quick and easy to build and do not necessarily need a scaffold background but do need to have the relevant Pasma qualification. And that if there is a need to go at substantial height then the likelihood is that a regular tube and fitting scaffold will be more appropriate.

One thing worth baring in mind is that they are made out of aluminium and that the wind speed would need to be a factor and for some reason 25mph rings a bell as a speed that work should cease and that around 40mph the aluminium tower should actually be dismantled. Don't quote me on the speeds as its been a while.

i van vaguely remember that the max heights are different for internal and external. It's been years since i have done my Pasma but sure it used to be about 12m internal and 8m external. And again if they are at the max heights it will likely need the stabilisers fitted too so make sure you have all of the components.
That's how we roll in our house baby!!!
Ewangoil
Student
Student

Post by Ewangoil »

Thanks guys, and thanks for the link. Very helpful. The first manual i looked at actually did specify tying the scaffold in above a certain height.
(Copied from user manual)
Towers must be tied into a suitable rigid structure once they go beyond the freestanding working heights
specified in EN 1004 2004 - 8m working platform height outdoors and 12m working platform height
indoors - or if the tower is unstable or is in danger of being unstable.
Standard scaffold tubes and fittings can be used with the Alto Access products. Ties should be spaced at
no more than 4m intervals. Ties must be rigid and be secured to both frame uprights. For further details
regarding tying in, please contact your supplier or the manufacturer:

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy