Fork Lift truck prestart checks

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

John Holsten
Industry Sector: Food

Fork Lift truck prestart checks

Post by John Holsten »

HI

I manage the FLT's and drivers on our site.
I am looking at coming away from the physical prestart check card the tick before every shift to a electronic version which built into the truck.

What is the actual legislation, guidance and best practice with pre start checks. I can duplicate all the questions that are on the check card but I just need a nod to what I am legally obliged to put on.

I have looked on the HSE website but I cannot find any specifics.
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Re: Fork Lift truck prestart checks

Post by Blackstone »

Hi John,

Personally I don't see this as an issue provided check sheets are stored electronically and the people checking can electronically sign after each prestart check.
Doesn't really matter how the checks are recorded as long as the checks are done adequately by competent people.

Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Re: Fork Lift truck prestart checks

Post by grim72 »

Hi John you would be better looking on the FLTA website for guidance rather than the HSE for this info I think.

Can I also suggest having a look at our app which might be of use (though still checklist based - it does offer a lot more than the usual paper version you mentioned) - it may well prove a good middle ground option for you to consider and considerably cheaper I suspect. Feel free to take a look and try a free trial at https://takeaim.goodtogosafety.co.uk to see if it would work for you (also means it can be used on all other equipment checks too - not just the flt).
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy