lifting Cryogenic cylinders

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Jonhouston99

lifting Cryogenic cylinders

Post by Jonhouston99 »

Hi, I have recently started working with a company and we are lifting cryogenic cylinders with the top ring. They have been doing this for many years with no issues. I have been looking online and through companies who manufacture these cylinders and have only found one that recommends their cylinders are lifted with the valve protection ring by using a spreader bar and two hooks. Most companies say that this top ring is for protecting the valves and the slot is to be used for connecting to special trolly. If these are not to be used for lifting why do the companies not stick label stating DO NOT LIFT? I personally do not think these are certified for lifting but having difficulty finding answers.

any suggestions???

Jon
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: lifting Cryogenic cylinders

Post by Alexis »

Jonhouston99 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:24 am Hi, I have recently started working with a company and we are lifting cryogenic cylinders with the top ring. They have been doing this for many years with no issues. I have been looking online and through companies who manufacture these cylinders and have only found one that recommends their cylinders are lifted with the valve protection ring by using a spreader bar and two hooks. Most companies say that this top ring is for protecting the valves and the slot is to be used for connecting to special trolly. If these are not to be used for lifting why do the companies not stick label stating DO NOT LIFT? I personally do not think these are certified for lifting but having difficulty finding answers.

any suggestions???

Jon
Hi Jon and a very warm welcome to HSfB. :wave:

I am sure we have some members who will come in with suggestions when they are free. Thank you in advance to anyone who can oblige. .salut

Good to have you with us Jon. :D
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

Welcome to the forums :wave:

I would make direct contact with the suppliers to see what their recommended lifting procedure would be :)

Hope that helps

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Woodie
Master Craftsman
Master Craftsman
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Construction/Major Power

Post by Woodie »

Hi

You can also check out the British Compressed Gas Association for advice, they have many helpful guidance documents available for download.
www.bcga.co.uk
Truth never damages a cause that is just. GANDHI (1869-1948)

http://nott-us.co.uk/

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy