BS5839 Part 6 2019

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

hammer1
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Commercial, residential, construction

BS5839 Part 6 2019

Post by hammer1 »

Below are just some general changes to Part 6....

Information about this document This is a full revision of the standard, and introduces the following principal changes:

• removal of Grade B and Grade E;

• subdivision of Grade D and Grade F into Grade D1/Grade D2 and Grade F1/Grade F2, respectively;

• revision of Table 1;

• updating of guidance to take into account the publication of BS 5839 1:2017 and other standards published since the last full revision of BS 5839 6;

• new table on testing and servicing by grade;

• new recommendation to prevent blocking or delaying of fire alarm signals transmitted via social alarm systems in sheltered housing to an alarm receiving centre;

• increase in the recommended standard of protection in sheltered housing flats from Category LD2 to Category LD1;

• new recommendations for fire detection in supported housing;

• new recommendation that communal fire alarm systems should not normally be installed in purpose-built blocks of flats;

• revised and expanded recommendations for Grade C.

Communal fire alarm systems are sometimes appropriate in houses that have been converted into self-contained flats. Whether this is the case depends on the legislation in the relevant part of the UK and/or measures such as compartmentation and means of escape. In this connection, attention is drawn to the Housing Act 2004 [8] in England and Wales, the Housing (Scotland) Act 2006 [9] and the Housing (Northern Ireland) Order 1992 [10] in Northern Ireland.
The song goes...{I'm gonna walk down to electric avenue and I'm gonna say ' have you got PAT testing records for all that mate'}
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: BS5839 Part 6 2019

Post by Messy »

Thanks Hammer. They sound like sensible changes on the whole.
Thank God I don't do residential now, but I need to keep on top of changes, so this is useful stuff
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: BS5839 Part 6 2019

Post by Alexis »

Many thanks for this Hammer.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy