We've rebooted our Facebook Group. If groups are your thing, join up and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Talking about Mental Health

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Oil and Gas/Manufacturing/Engineering
Occupation: Health, Safety and Radiation Advisor for TechnipFMC & HSfB Web Site Owner

Re: Talking about Mental Health

Post by Jack Kane » Thu May 16, 2019 9:49 pm

Thanks very much for sharing that CAD. People will be able to relate to it and it will help others open up a bit more or even intervene with somebody needing vital support.

I'm all for positive as well and I found a golden nugget of positive by chance today.

Yesterday and into today, I had a bit of a wobble and noticed some of my triggers were starting to bring me down. From the support I've had from the NHS I did recognise them, but even though I've learned loads from that support and about myself, it's still quite hard to turn that around at times.

I had a meeting to attend today and was dreading it because my head was like mince really. For some reason the meeting didn't go ahead and I bumped into a colleague who asked how I was. Back in the day, I would've answered 'no bad thanks', but these days I find it easy to say 'no very good today, I feel...'

That was it, we had a 'spare' hour, went for a cuppa and had a really good chat about stuff. It helped me massively. The fact I was asked with sincerity and somebody took the time to listen was just spot on. The thing that fascinates me is that I have great support around me, but for some reason I wasn't tapping into it today.

We were meant to chat today and I'm grateful for that.

It's not easy, but it's good to talk. .salut ./thumbsup..

Get Listed for Free on our Directory

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey » Fri May 17, 2019 10:06 am

Some really good stuff being brought out here.
My thanks to everyone who is sharing.
I've not got anything to share that is anything as health affecting as others have, but I can share a very small issue.

It's been 8 years since I retired from my RAF career of 37 years. But my subconscious mind still has problems with that separation from a large proportion of my lifespan.
Initially, it was almost every night, now only perhaps once a fortnight, but I have dreams which essentially all revolve around scenarios where I am still going to work at an 'RAF Job' at a location which bears similarities to ones I served at; but in every dream I know I've retired, but I'm basically going into work still, ignoring the fact that I shouldn't be there and concealing my retirement from the characters I encounter. The dreams are always quite short and result in me waking up; consequently, some nights my sleep is broken several times.
I was fortunate enough to never be at the front line of any conflict during my career, so I was never in a situation which might give rise to PTSD, so I am very grateful for that.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

AdyShaw
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Farming

Post by AdyShaw » Fri May 17, 2019 9:28 pm

bernicarey, glad I am not the only ex mil who has dreams on a nightly basis where you are in a position when you served. I left the army in December 12 after 26 years, and I guess like many others I thought I was great, no issues, life was just fine. Yeah, life in service was not always the bee's knees, but could always fall back on fellow mess members to help me forget the stress. Follow on from retirement and had 3 mental health relapses, the last one enabling a HUGE career change, and for the absolute best, working as I do on a farm raising cattle and sheep, one group of cattle I work with are cattle that are 8 month old, I have known them since they were 6 weeks old, and as I have been their main human they trust me totally. Anyway, November 2018, I had a HUGE realisation, and one that has had massive impact on my immediate family. My last episode of issues, happened on the 10 year anniversary of the first time I made an attempt to take my life. Was something I had shut away, never to be opened. I now look back, and realise that was not the only attempt I made, and hid, from my wife and children, but more so from myself. I am a typical person, imperfect in a imperfect world trying to prove I am perfect. Except I am not perfect, and I now know I am not a robot, and I am happily typing this with my back door open, listening to the sheep and lambs I have a care for. I hope everyone finds their own inner peace, and until then, my ear can be constantly be bent
Ady Shaw

Wherever you are, never forget where you came from and what you fight for

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by bernicarey » Sat May 18, 2019 10:15 am

Ady
.salut
a few weeks ago, I was in a twitter conversation with a retired copper who was getting 'flashback' dreams to random incidents and locations, all just typical dreamlike things.
It's like our minds are still processing the fact they we have suddenly left our 'vocational' careers of many years, whether we had a particularly stressful one or not.
My service career, simply by roll of the dice, put me in places where I wasn't directly involved in conflict 1st hand.
From the Falklands to Afghanistan, my individual contribution was always 2nd echelon, whether Trails work, aircraft modifications or in the case of Afghan 2001, I spent it in Oman supporting E3 AWACs operations.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

AdyShaw
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Farming

Post by AdyShaw » Sat May 18, 2019 9:04 pm

Berni,

Being a PONGO I could make remarks to hotels, however, it is good to know you brother .salut
Ady Shaw

Wherever you are, never forget where you came from and what you fight for

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by bernicarey » Mon May 20, 2019 2:02 pm

AdyShaw wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:04 pm
Berni,

Being a PONGO I could make remarks to hotels, however, it is good to know you brother .salut
;)
You too .salut
I never stayed in many hotels, but over my time spent a few years worth of it in air-conditioned cabins :lol:
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy