Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

CAD
Student
Student

Do you report issues outside of work?

Post by CAD »

Deleted
Last edited by CAD on Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: Do you report issues outside of work?

Post by WillPool »

CAD wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:42 pm So I am walking through town on my lunch this afternoon, and walk past a building in which has scaffolding and sheeting around it. It's been like that for a few weeks.

I'd notice on my walk in this morning that the area at the bottom had been coned off. On my lunch I noticed that they were dismantling the scaffold and dropping it about two floors down into a back of a lorry where a man with his top off was attempting to catch the poles, all whilst smoking.

Normally, I wouldn't say anything but since I've been on the NEBOSH course i must say I've started to notice a lot more things and felt I needed to speak to someone. So I asked for the site manager, and when asked why I told him. He basically told me to mind my own business.

Now, It maybe the way I approached it, or it could just be that he was rude. However, I am tempted to email the company as it was quite dangerous especially as it was next to a busy walk way.

So, my question is have you/or do you report stuff or highlight issues when "off duty"?

Should I mind my own business?
Personally I have and will say something i think it is a danger to life and limb. (like what you have described). If it was someone not wearing PPE, then maybe not (depending on the circumstances).

I would normally try and point it out 'as a favor' to the Site Manager and if he took the attitude as above then I would have no qualms in reporting it to the parent company.

The way I see it, if you said nothing and someone got injured, how would you feel?

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
CAD
Student
Student

Post by CAD »

Deleted
Last edited by CAD on Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

CAD wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:42 pm So I asked for the site manager, and when asked why I told him. He basically told me to mind my own business.
You're very likely to get similar abuse from the company boss.
For me, at that point, I stop being the nice and helpful sort and my attitude becomes 'well if that's how you want to play it, you deserve all you get, by the bucket load!'.

Saffolders are one of the bigger PITA aspects of construction, especially many small local firms. A building conversion site I was working last year it took months to get the Scaffs to send through the weekly inspection certificates, despite me reporting on it every fortnightly visit.

I'd have no hesitation in reporting concerns direct to HSE. http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/concerns.htm

As will said:
if you said nothing and someone got injured, how would you feel?
These cowboys only exist because nobody reports them.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

What a load of jobsworths you are.

I have seen many serious fire safety issues in my time. A blocked exit from a children's Xmas Santa's grotto, a supermarket which locked one end of their 80m long shop and a posh hotel in Belfast with more means of escape problems are amongst the worst examples

Did I stick my big nose in whilst off duty just to spoil these businesses day? Blooming right I did

I find it helps me sleep at night ;)
abarnett
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @adb82
Industry Sector: Warehousing

Post by abarnett »

One of my neighbours has just had scaffolding put up that isn't tied (and is pretty shoogly), has no intermediate guard rails and no toeboards.

Also, they were standing on the ledgers while putting it up and using the frame as access equipment.

As you can imagine, paid no attention to me!

Reported to the HSE yesterday and got a call back today that they are coming to have a look...
PS take pictures - the HSE like pictures apparently....

Andy
Safety doesn't happen by accident
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

CAD wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:42 pm have you/or do you report stuff or highlight issues when "off duty"?

Should I mind my own business?
Off duty safety pro? Is that even a thing? :lol:

Intervention as an H&S pro comes in all shapes and sizes, whether it's a direct conversation, pulling a face and throwing a disapproving look (what? Just me then?), reporting to supervisors or managers or reporting to the HSE, I see each and every one of those as a life saver. A life saver we might never know about.

The conversations we have with people might just be enough to make people think twice this time or even the next time. The person might go away and moan to their friends and family about your intervention, but at least that starts another conversation.

Of course there is also the moral duty aspect of it all and the expectation of professional bodies like IOSH to 'do the right thing'.

I've intervened in several situations over the years, each one I'm glad I did. Especially the one where people were working 40 feet up on a fragile roof every day. I took photos, sent them to the HSE and voila! No more people have been seen working on the roof since. I believe I saved at least one life by doing that.

My advice to y'all...make it your business! :twisted:

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Some people can switch off H&S mode? I certainly can't as my wife will undoubtedly attest to.

Whether I mention it to staff, management or an external authority depends on how much attention I think they will pay (and how serious the infraction), but I certainly couldn't just ignore something that could kill people.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment

Post by Messy »

Whoops
Last edited by Messy on Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Messy »

Messy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:55 pm A - er, friend of mine is often discovered wandering off by my, sorry his wife in shops.

"What are you looking at over there ?" She asks
" They're doing a good deal on nappies" he might replied to be chastised "Our kids are in their 30s, why do we need nappies?"

Then adding "you were looking at that fire exit through the stock room weren't you?"

"No love, I promise. Would I lie to you?" 😊😋
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

[smilie=smiley-faces11.gif] [smilie=smiley-faces11.gif]
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

[smilie=smiley-faces11.gif]
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy