Construction Health & Safety

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Safetyman02

Construction Health & Safety

Post by Safetyman02 »

What do people think have been the top three health and safety challenges in the construction industry so far in 2019
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Construction Health & Safety

Post by Waterbaby »

Friday Bump ./thumbsup..

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
ssmith65

Post by ssmith65 »

If you look at the construction accident and death stats from last year its basically working at height and moving objects that end up killing people. If you ask why this still happens I think you need to look at how these are managed on site and how workers are potentially allowed to cut corners when it comes to safety because to do the job safely takes more time and times costs money! at least that's how I say it.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

ssmith65 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:53 am If you look at the construction accident and death stats from last year its basically working at height and moving objects that end up killing people. If you ask why this still happens I think you need to look at how these are managed on site and how workers are potentially allowed to cut corners when it comes to safety because to do the job safely takes more time and times costs money! at least that's how I say it.
That's it in a nutshell as far as I see it too.

With the onuses on time constraints to achieve the quoted remuneration upon completion without any penalties being incurred on late build completion, seems to give rise to a perceived "open permission" on cutting corners "so long as is deemed reasonably safe if only by the fact that they do it all the time and know what they are doing".

Any layperson, if they stand and watch for 10 minutes, can even see (and do) comment on those obvious potentially deathly practices.

An example just at the back of my house this week was a terraced house having facing renovation done, followed by anti-fugal painted on, followed by roughcast by tossing little stones on to the fascia of the building.

1 Scaffold was not attached to building, was not complete and swayed heavily when two men were working on it.
2 Not one single bit of attachment of the ladder from the ground to the top level.
3 Large trugs full of materials were being carried halfway up the ladder by one man and the man on the top section lay down on his tummy to retrieve the said trug and put on top level which consisted of a one boarded platform with no hand rail etc etc.
4 When it came to the tossing of the little stones, there was no PPE worn to protect eyes etc., nor any safe designated areas surrounding the area being clattered!

They sent the young boy to my door to see if I wanted the same thing done to my property. This gave me the opportunity to mention, although I am certainly no expert in such things, that their practices, to any layperson, were very unsafe and how concerned I was for their safety. The reply I received?..............We have to do three of these today!! ................ Says it all!
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
ssmith65

Post by ssmith65 »

A wonderful reply from Alexis.

I think we also have to talk more about mental health even more so in construction. Its a male dominated arena and the lower skilled jobs being done by younger workers who are sometime reluctant to speak out when they have mental health issues because they might be scared of being ridiculed by there colleagues.

there is an active thread on the forum already and I urge people to check it out : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43869

Its vital that we talk more about mental health and try and help when we can. After all who doesn't want to help reduce some of the stats in the link below!

https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/ ... than-falls

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy