Travel distance to manual call point

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Paul1979
Industry Sector: Property Management including H&S
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Travel distance to manual call point

Post by Paul1979 »

Silly question time, I'm sorry...

We have a large(ish) room (25m x 12m) which is used for places of assembly (can be up to 150 people at times). The room adjoins other rooms which then have fire / emergency exit doors.

Do we need to have call points adjacent to the doors which leave the big room, or can we have just call points next to the final exits??

I’ve looked up on Google and we’re confused as it says 45m distance is acceptable for a ‘defined’ route, but only 30m for an ‘undefined’ route….but we don’t understand what the difference is!!

There doesn't appear to be a definition in the guides for 'defined' and 'undefined' escape routes - so if anyone has something that can help us that would be brilliant.

Any help / advice would be much appreciated!
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Travel distance to manual call point

Post by Messy »

The default travel distance to MCPs has been 45m for many years, reduced to 25m for areas of high fire risk (rapid development) or where a disability may slow down raising the alarm ( this is the older 2002 version of BS 5839)

Unforetunately I haven't got the latest British standard at home so can't look up the un/defined part.

Is there a commissioning certificate for the alarm when it was installed? If there is and there hasn't been a significant increased risk since then and the premises is low risk (e.g. not an elderly care home) , I wouldn't worry too much

I will look further when I get back to the office
Paul1979
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Post by Paul1979 »

Hi Messy, no there's no commissioning certificate. It was done by a local electrician who says that he cannot commission systems...

But, we are well below the 45m distance - it was mention of the 30m distance which threw everyone into panic, plus we cannot find (even looking at the BS5839 Part 1 2017) what the definitions of un/defined are which doesn't help...??
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
Essex

Post by Essex »

What grade of fire alarm do you have installed and what does your FRA state?
Education is the key. A manager should always stand by their team. They employed them.
Essex

Post by Essex »

Paul1979 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:40 pm Hi Messy, no there's no commissioning certificate. It was done by a local electrician who says that he cannot commission systems...

But, we are well below the 45m distance - it was mention of the 30m distance which threw everyone into panic, plus we cannot find (even looking at the BS5839 Part 1 2017) what the definitions of un/defined are which doesn't help...??
I would be more concerned about employing contractors not competent in fire alarms personally mate.
Education is the key. A manager should always stand by their team. They employed them.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

'Where necessary…'

Do an FRA and consider the risk level in the room, how long (longer) it would take to raise the alarm and whether there is any reasonable increase to the risk to life due to this.

If not (and I'd seriously doubt it), note it, explain your reasoning and move on.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Paul1979

Post by Paul1979 »

Thank you all for your help - very much appreciated as always.
hammer1
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Commercial, residential, construction

Post by hammer1 »

Paul1979 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:25 pm Silly question time, I'm sorry...

We have a large(ish) room (25m x 12m) which is used for places of assembly (can be up to 150 people at times). The room adjoins other rooms which then have fire / emergency exit doors.

Do we need to have call points adjacent to the doors which leave the big room, or can we have just call points next to the final exits??

I’ve looked up on Google and we’re confused as it says 45m distance is acceptable for a ‘defined’ route, but only 30m for an ‘undefined’ route….but we don’t understand what the difference is!!

There doesn't appear to be a definition in the guides for 'defined' and 'undefined' escape routes - so if anyone has something that can help us that would be brilliant.

Any help / advice would be much appreciated!
As mentioned assess the risk, from your description MCPs at final exits should be suffice if already installed, don't forget depending on layout and use, shouting 'FIRE' could be suffice....reference your FRA to see.

What you might want to look at is occupancy limits and ensure the appropriate calculations have been made.

I have something attached that would help guide you on this....however it should be captured in the FRA
OCCUPANCY_CALCULATIONS.pdf
occupancy calcs
(159.03 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
The song goes...{I'm gonna walk down to electric avenue and I'm gonna say ' have you got PAT testing records for all that mate'}
hammer1
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Commercial, residential, construction

Post by hammer1 »

Paul1979 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:40 pm Hi Messy, no there's no commissioning certificate. It was done by a local electrician who says that he cannot commission systems...

I would strongly recommend you use 3rd party accredited contractors in future, FIA/BAFE websites should assist. If for nothing else to ensure your insurance will be paid out if in event of fire.
The song goes...{I'm gonna walk down to electric avenue and I'm gonna say ' have you got PAT testing records for all that mate'}

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy