Setting up a health and safety company

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

lovesafety

Setting up a health and safety company

Post by lovesafety »

Hello guys..I don't have much experience professionally but I'm thinking of setting up a health and safety company.. What would be the best way to go about this?
I need a plan and some ideas..
Please kindly share your thoughts. Thank you
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: Setting up a health and safety company

Post by WillPool »

Hi Lovesafety :wave:

A question with broad appeal and loads of variants .scratch

Are you setting up as a sole trader, limited company because both of those will have different requirements?

You will, of course, require insurances.

If you meet the requirements you can also join OHSCR which means proof of CPD, Insurance and certain levels of IOSH/IIRSM.

Are you considering H&S Training? If so there will be things you require to do for IOSH, CITB etc for accreditation.

Then there is advertising, papers/internet/website etc etc

You say you are not very experienced, experienced in setting up a company or experienced in Health & Safety?

If you dont have a robust plan or ideas on how to make the company work, or attract custom then I am not sure you should invest any money in setting up a company :(

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Hi lovesafety
Looking back at your posting history, less than 2 years ago you were just starting out on a NEBOSH IGC, so I'm guessing that :
a) you are not in the UK
b) you haven't got much experience of the role.

So to be perfectly frank, if you were in the UK, I'd say don't even consider it.
The OSHCR that WillPool mention was set up for a few reasons, but essentially because there were too many poorly qualified and experienced individuals in the field leading to bad advice. Running your own H&S Company in the UK with only a NEBOSH Certificate? Not against the law unfortunately, but it should be IMHO.

However, assuming you are overseas, it depends on the people currently in the local H&S field and the standard of advice and guidance they are offering. If you can improve on it, then fine, if you can't, then get some more experience and qualifications first.

The same applies to setting up a 'company'; the legal requirements for setting up a company in the UK are not going to be the same as other places around the world. .salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

lovesafety

Post by lovesafety »

WillPool wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:28 am Hi Lovesafety :wave:

A question with broad appeal and loads of variants .scratch

Are you setting up as a sole trader, limited company because both of those will have different requirements?

You will, of course, require insurances.

If you meet the requirements you can also join OHSCR which means proof of CPD, Insurance and certain levels of IOSH/IIRSM.

Are you considering H&S Training? If so there will be things you require to do for IOSH, CITB etc for accreditation.

Then there is advertising, papers/internet/website etc etc

You say you are not very experienced, experienced in setting up a company or experienced in Health & Safety?

If you dont have a robust plan or ideas on how to make the company work, or attract custom then I am not sure you should invest any money in setting up a company :(

Will .salut
Hi Bernicarey, so sorry for the late response.
My question was indeed broad and I didn't really consider a lot of things.. But what I had in mind was to establish a safety Consultancy company that would offer general health and safety consultation, be an accredited Nebosh service provider, and offer specialized safety training of some sort for companies...
My lack of experience as mentioned is in establishing a company. Professionally, I haven't spent a lot of years practicing.. I'm still young.
lovesafety

Post by lovesafety »

Sorry the response is to you Mr Will.. :)
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

No problems

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy