Greedy Ocado

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Greedy Ocado

Post by Messy »

Who says aluminium doesn't burn?

This is what is left of two 15m ladders (the second ladder circled) following the Ocado warehouse fire in Andover in recent days. Apparently, they had to be abandoned when the fire spread rapidly. A number of firefighters were injured in the fire, but the few staff there got out

The fire appears to have started within an order picking robot and led to the biggest fire in Hampshire for many years.

Why the ward winning sprinkler system seems to have failed in containing this fire will hopefully be established in due course

I am sure the technology is very impressive, but I am not a fan of Ocado who want to used robots to pick and pack your online shopping before delivering them on autominous vehicles. Hello! What about people and jobs and communities??
OK, the average worker can't work 24/7 in the dark and cold, but there again, they don't burst into flames mid shift do they? Greedy :(

Melted ladders
1352.jpeg
Ocado and its notsoclever warehouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKrcpa8Z_E&t=111s

The fire (Spot the fire engine!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dzK48DMFss
Essex

Re: Greedy Ocado

Post by Essex »

What about the jobs created by this technology?

People make mistakes too. Look at Grendfell.
Education is the key. A manager should always stand by their team. They employed them.
grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Post by grim72 »

I guess you counter argue that the fact they use robots etc means there are less people in the building to be injured during the fire? If the building had been full of workers rather than robots when a fire broke out would the lack of injury be the same? We'll never know I guess.

I know what you mean though - personally I'd rather deal with people than a piece of equipment. I did one of the Amazon distribution centre tours last year and I was amazed at the lack of robots/technology on show - I'd assumed that Amazon was pretty much fully automated but it really isn't (well not the one I visited anyway) - it was a fascinating tour though (I'd thoroughly recommend if anyone wants to see how their parcel gets processed from start to finish): https://www.aboutamazon.co.uk/amazon-fu ... ent-centre
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

More automation is great, it means that we'll all be working less hours for the same (or better) standard of living...

Any day now...
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy