Ignorant Managers. Don't you just love em?

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

joaorosa80
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Re: Ignorant Managers. Don't you just love em?

Post by joaorosa80 »

I wander about the best way to approach a director.
Most of them are clearly aware of the consequences of their acts, simply theyI wander about the best way to approach a director.
Most of them are clearly aware of the consequences of their acts, simply they don't want to assume that safety is not always the priority.
Ok,we do write in a paper, and after?
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

I totally understand the dilemma.
One of the reasons I like being my own boss is that I can walk away from the idiots.

I had a client business which changed ownership. The new owner moved it to a larger premises and was full of big ideas.
He had a concern that the wooden fire doors in the new premises weren't strong enough to stop a break-in.
I advised him of the sort of options he had, and he went for the strongest, Steel doors with a security bar.
20151112_112038.jpg
On a couple of subsequent visits, not only had he positioned a large fridge right next to one of the doors and obstructed the other with an electric FLT, both doors were still bared and locked at around 11:00am. On finding this the 2nd time, having told him about it on the first occasion, he went off on one about me 'behaving like a policeman' and they didn't need to have them unlocked because the roller door was open. The said roller door was only open because a delivery was in progress.
20160519_123927.jpg
20160519_124037.jpg
He thinks we parted company because he told me he didn't want to renew; I was going to double his quote so he wouldn't renew anyway.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

I had a couple of customers like that Berni and it is so nice to be able to walk away.

Yep, lets have push bar panic door furniture and then have it barred and locked!! Wot a pillock. At least most people can squeeze around the forklift, but that option isn't available for the locked door! I also note a possible lack of escape signage and my favourite, badly fixed wiring above the door.

When he said you were "behaving like a Policeman", perhaps he meant you were acting with professional integrity and honesty ? :)

My bosses recently wanted a final fire exit closed for 2 years to allow for construction work. I said with 550 persons due to use it, and no suitable alternative, we would either have to decant 12.5% of of the workforce elsewhere, or change the construction method statement(s) to keep the final exit. My bosses disagreed with my findings, but did agree (on my request) to get an independent fire safety consultant in to check my findings. I won as he agreed with me. Its a constant battle, but I love a challenge :)
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Yep.
the signage was on the list of things outstanding and I wasn't happy with him placing that great big fridge next to the door with the extension lead running around the walls.
This is another view of the fridge by the door taken on the same visit..... :roll:
20160519_123833.jpg
The really ironic bit is he was obsessed with the doors being strong enough but in reality, the easiest way into the premises was to go through the flimsy walls.
Just like this image I found a few years ago:
Building break-in.jpg
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

joaorosa80
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by joaorosa80 »

Totally agreed with Messy.
How much we can push, without losing our position?
I found that was in my position before did everything correctly by the shape of risk assessments...however, never formally approached senior managers for this reason.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy