Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

rocketman
Student
Student

NEBOSH / NVQ L5 / NCRQ my thoughts

Post by rocketman »

Hi all,

Just thought I would chip in with my view on some H&S qualifications and my experience and thoughts with them.

NEBOSH General Cert
Completed this about a year and half ago having come into H&S with no experience at all. Felt like I learned loads that I have applied to the work place.

NVQ L5
Currently 6 units in and it is hard! Be under no illusion that this isn’t just submitting evidence you also have to submit reflective accounts (also known as storyboards), I have written around 30,000 words so far, by the end this will be 60,000+! Which is basically a novel on H&S!
Evidence wise it is a nightmare trying to decipher what evidence they are looking for, sometimes it’s clear cut but mostly it is not. Another problem is if you don’t have a whole lot of experience you might not have the evidence to submit, or if it doesn’t have you name on it i.e. a policy, you then have to get a witness statement from the boss to say you had an input in it. Filling out witness statements isn’t something bosses really enjoy doing!
I do feel like I have learned quite a bit from researching the reflective accounts. Wish it was just these!

NCRQ Dip
So I have only complete the first part so far, which gives me a level 6 certificate. But I feel it was a bit too easy and not really in-depth. If I had taken the NCRQ certificate instead of the NEBOSH certificate I would definitely have been less knowledgeable.
The case studies were interesting and the assessments were required some time to complete, which was good. The assessments say that you can complete the assessments with just the information on the HSE website, which is great but I sort of expected a little more than constantly referring to HSE guidance. It may be because I had already completed the NEBOSH cert that I didn’t get so much from it, maybe the rest of the Diploma will give me some new knowledge. Although I found a few things of interest and new to me in the accident investigation section.

I do think that employers will look more favourable to NEBOSH Diploma holders over NCRQ Diploma holders, and rightly so in my opinion. Doing the NVQ L5 has definitely made me realise what work is involved and deserves respect of those who have completed it.
If I was an employer my preference for a H&S professional would be:

• NEBOSH Diploma
• NVQ L5
• NCRQ Diploma

Luckily, by the time I have finished I will have the bottom 2, just don’t think I’d have the stamina to go through the NEBOSH Diploma from what I have heard from colleagues!

These are my thoughts, hope they are a help to anyone choosing their next move.

Rocketman
CMIOSH :D
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: NEBOSH / NVQ L5 / NCRQ my thoughts

Post by stephen1974 »

The NCRQ does need to up its game a little. The style is right, but the content is lacking. The diploma only covers a little bit more than the NGC does.
The advantage of NEBOSH is a greater depth of knowledge. The advantage of the NCRQ is a great real world application.

I've seen many people with the knowledge but no clue how to apply it in the real world, but I think there needs to be a more facts based aspect to the NCRQ to improve levels of knowledge.

I should complete the NCRQ diploma soon. I would then like to do some NEBOSH Stuff but I just cant do NEBOSH. My brain is not wired to remembering facts.
danwel
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Oil & Gas

Post by danwel »

I’ll be honest, when I started my NVQ 5 it was either that or the diploma and I chose NVQ as I thought it was a softer and easier option.

Oh my days was I mistaken !! It took me 4 1/2 years which was obviously my own fault and lack of motivation largely due to the frustration as to what constitutes evidence to back up your statement. It was a lot harder than o have it credit but if you knuckle down you can get through it and progress quickly. I think at one point I never opened my file for a year, again my own doing.

It’s horses for courses in all honesty but for me the NCRQ just isn’t quite there and very much the new kid in the block and not probably a route I’d be going down but that’s just my opinion
That's how we roll in our house baby!!!
rocketman
Student
Student

Post by rocketman »

Reflecting back, I think NEBOSH general certificate and a whole lot of experience is the way to go in becoming a competent health and safety professional. The higher qualifications just give you that edge, especially when applying for jobs.
rocketman
Student
Student

Post by rocketman »

Hi all,

I think it is only fair that I update this thread with my current thoughts and experiences. I have now completed the first 2 assessments on HSD2 and I have to say I have learned loads and enjoying the process. Especially interesting was the stress management part of the course. Looking forward to getting stuck into the next section.

RM
Towsey
Student
Student

Post by Towsey »

Hi

I have recently completed the NEBOSH cert and after completing the Fire one i will be doing the diploma.

I did talk to my tutors about which higher one is best and they both recommended the NEBOSH diploma as you gain more knowledge than you would NCRQ or NVQ.

They also said majority of employers would prefer NEBOSH diploma as it is more well know but it is a lot of hard work.

Worth it in the end!
danwel
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by danwel »

Towsey wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:24 pm Hi

I have recently completed the NEBOSH cert and after completing the Fire one i will be doing the diploma.

I did talk to my tutors about which higher one is best and they both recommended the NEBOSH diploma as you gain more knowledge than you would NCRQ or NVQ.

They also said majority of employers would prefer NEBOSH diploma as it is more well know but it is a lot of hard work.

Worth it in the end!
My thoughts and i stress this is only my thoughts. I believe you are right in that most employers look at NEBOSH Dip as the gold standard but this is only because it has been around the longest and is very well established so in my opinion it is a bit naive on their part.

That's not to say they discount the other options but they unconsciously or even consciously look to that as the gold standard. The NCRQ is relatively new and has attracted some positive and negative press, some of which is warranted i think but again that's just my perception. Many believe this option to be the softest and easiest way to achieve Grad IOSH. Having not completed any of the NRCQ modules nor even looked at it i couldn't comments.

The NVQ just worked for me as i work offshore so couldn't commit to a classroom based learning option and having tried distance learning i was very honest with myself and knew that doesn't suit me and i would just end up throwing money way and never completing the course.
danwel
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by danwel »

Just wanted to add that a lot of job adverts i have seen just stipulate Grad IOSH with companies not stipulating how you got there just that in order to hold this role you must be Grad IOSH.
LittleNell83
Student
Student

Post by LittleNell83 »

I have just completed the HSD2 from the NCRQ Diploma- the third and final book is at home.

Whilst I tried to do a NEBOSH certificate distance learning and really struggled, I have found the NCRQ books more suited to me. I think one issue with the NEBOSH Course I was doing and the material is it was a lot of screen text and power points. Plus, trying to fit it into my job- I never managed to get the time at work and therefore ran out of time. Now I am doing the NCRQ course to leave work- I am doing it at home.

With the NCRQ, I like the fact it doesn't give you all the answers- the book tells you where to find this information and makes you become acquanited with the HSE Website and the government Regs. This could also be a case of male learning vs female learning. Men tend to be better at rote, and therefore may be more suited to women.

However, an assignment in developing policies around case studies I found interesting and beneficial. HSD 2 is definitely more intensive than HSD1 but I think it progressively gets trickier.

Just my thoughts though ../. it would be boring if we all thought the same.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy