Water/Foam Extinguishers in Freezing Temps.

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Water/Foam Extinguishers in Freezing Temps.

Post by bernicarey »

This topic hasn't been discussed much in the past, This being one of the few examples I found:
https://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/f ... =1&t=31807
but many people don't realise that Water/Foam Extinguishers are usually only rated for a temp range of 5-60 degree C.
So what happens if we have a long spell at Freezing Temps or below, such as they are currently experiencing across Europe, and must be the norm in the Scottish Highland for several months.
For many of us, the cold doesn't last too long and many only happen overnight for a few hours.

But does anyone have anti-freeze extinguishers for outside installation, or do you just rely on enclosures?
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Water/Foam Extinguishers in Freezing Temps.

Post by Waterbaby »

Bump ./thumbsup..

I'll ask what our client does, certainly cold enough !!! :lol:

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

May I hopefully glean some comments with a similar theme for foam extinguishers (not wishing to create 2 similar posts or to hijack either) - currently dealing with a site where they are shown as working to -16 degrees but it is closer to -20 degrees or colder with the wind, albeit for short periods, but no idea what the 'warm up period is after being so cold.
Can anyone direct where or how to find hand held extinguishers for really cold places or is there a natural baseline?
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Google 'Safelincs extinguisher' and give them a call. I have used them before and they are very knowledgeable
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Messy wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:59 am Google 'Safelincs extinguisher' and give them a call. I have used them before and they are very knowledgeable
I've previously taken a look at their site, on this question and others and they are pretty good.
I'm looking more at the general awareness out there and what specific measure people might take.

I know for a fact that many people don't even think about looking at temperature operating range when placing a water based extinguisher out in the open. I'm hoping that forum members 'North of the Border,' might have some greater knowledge of more adverse conditions.

Andyblue - I wouldn't be worrying about Wind Chill unless the extinguishers are actually out in the open unprotected, so that wind can act directly on the metal. Hopefully they are in plastic/wooden cabinets so only ambient/static temp is to be worried about.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

Although originally from North of the Border, I have worked a wee bit in MENA nad it is the opposite that affects the extinguishers, too much heat or direct sunlight.

On one project outside extinguishers were placed in wooden boxes to protect from sunlight to stop the premature perishing of rubber hoses etc, there were fortnightly checks of these extinguishers. Most of the office/indoor extinguishers could be checked as 'normal' as the A/C would regulate temperature.

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy