Moderator: Moderators

caroline
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Manufacturing

succesful implementation of change

Post by caroline »

Hi All,
I have been following forums quietly but I thought I'd ask the question on the recent projects I have been assigned to do.

I have been asked to develop and implement a new health and safety system built around changes in manufacturing process.

The tricky bit is that it is an old factory and most of the emplyees have been there for 20+ years and are VERY resistant to any changes... 'We have always done things this way... ' :roll:
I was wondering if anyone have done something like this - to implement change in HS processes - where the new HSE system to completely change the way the process currently works i a very old factory..
I am expected to present the proposal to the top management (full support from them on this) .scratch

any tips much appreciated :)
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: succesful implementation of change

Post by stephen1974 »

How big is the workforce you need to retrain?
Start with line managers / supervisors. Get them trained up first and bring them in as part of the roll out team so that they are fully invested in it and lead the way. They can be johnny on the spot to put down any rebellios stick in the muds and if they understand fully what the changes are there will be no umming and ahhing and uncertainty over what to do which is always a route for the rank and file to bad mouth change.
andybz
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by andybz »

Can you give us some examples of what is actually changing? From what I understand the way employees do their main job is not changing but I guess the supporting H&S procedures maybe. If this is the case I think your focus should be on making sure everyone knows how to access the new system and whether they need to input any additional information.

However, if you are saying your new H&S system will change the employees' main jobs you have a much more difficult task to complete.
Risk, safety and health
Human factors and ergonomics
http://www.simplesensiblesafety.co.uk
http://www.andybrazier.co.uk
Thunderchild
Twitter: @sjuggins
Industry Sector: Warehouse and Manufacturing

Post by Thunderchild »

Engagement! Involve the workforce and they will take some ownership of the change. They may feel less "forced upon", although there are always those that are 100% resistant to any change.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy