Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

CAD
Student
Student

Entry level jobs and next steps

Post by CAD »

Deleted
Last edited by CAD on Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Entry level jobs and next steps

Post by Alexis »

Hi CAD. Many companies now use a Recruitment Software system to filter out CV's that do not have the required skills for their own specific needs.

This tool can be set by the organisation and once the CV is scanned, it is then graded in some instances.

Depending upon the grading given at the end of the scanning, a human will, in general, not look any further at lower graded CV's and they may be discarded.

With hundreds of CV applications being sent for one role, it is understandable that companies need this software. This is not to say I agree with it, but technology will continue to move forward.

The software doesn't scan the full CV, so anything after a third of the first page isn't (at this stage) relevant.

Buzz words, as in what we all know with NEBOSH "speak" is really important in the first paragraph, as are the buzz words seen in specific advertisements.

I have also discovered, through speaking to a recruitment company, that if an organisation is using the recruitment software as the first elimination process, if you use the company name in the first sentence/paragraph, this will award 1 point in itself. Personally, I think this is awful to be awarded a point just for using the name!

If you would like me to have a look at your CV, just send me a PM to which I shall reply with my email addy.

Hope this helps a bit.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
PaddyT
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing

Post by PaddyT »

I can thoroughly recommend Alexis's CV wizardry.

It has secured me numerous interviews in the past
"The more you try to make something idiot proof, the more likely someone is to prove you wrong"
dave247
Dangerous Dave
Dangerous Dave
Industry Sector: Waste

Post by dave247 »

The software that is mentioned was discussed on a LinkedIn webinar and it was said that the software is set to the job description so base it to that.

My friend in HR told me he tried it out when searching for a new role, his invited to interviews went up by 90%
For brilliance and, at the same time, for consistency of achievement, for activity in philanthropic enterprise, for astuteness of management and for general alertness, the superiors of Aston Villa cannot be found
abarnett
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @adb82
Industry Sector: Warehousing

Post by abarnett »

Hi all,

My applications will always be based on the job advert... in the majority of cases they are looking for a CV and cover letter. I'm fortunate that alexis had a look over my CV for me and improved it massively but will still tweak phrases within it.
I will always rewrite my cover letter as you need to totally tailor that to what you are applying for.

Andy
Safety doesn't happen by accident
CAD
Student
Student

Post by CAD »

Deleted
Last edited by CAD on Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Do you have experience in a specific industry? If you do, target those businesses first as experience is vastly more important than Catch phrases on a CV.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy