Changing Industries

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Safety Man

Changing Industries

Post by Safety Man »

Hi All,

Just looking for peoples experiences/advice in regards to changing industries within HSE roles.

My current position may possibly become redundant in 2019, so trying to be prepared if it happens. I see several HSE positions advertised I just wanted to know peoples experiences in terms of how easy it is to change industries, is specific experience a big issue or are transferable skills recognised? (recruitment agencies tend to tell you what you want to hear I am finding).

I am diploma qualified, lead auditor and TapRooT Advanced Root Cause Analysis Team Leader Trained as well as 8+ years experience within several HSE positions.

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers
Safety Man
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: Changing Industries

Post by WillPool »

Morning

I would say a lot of skills are transferable however some industries want you to have the knowledge of what they do, particularly high risk industries.

You dont say what industry you come from.

I have worked mostly in telecomms and construction but would probably not put myself forward for an oil and gas refinery if you see what I mean??

I did have an interview for a role in a dairy and they commented on the change of background but because I had done research I could tell them what there most likely hazards and issues had been and I was offered a 2nd interview although I declined as another telecomms role became available.

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
AdamJ
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @thenoisechap

Post by AdamJ »

I started out in H&S in engineering - a factory making turbochargers. Then I was H&S for a bakery. Then for a big poultry farming and hatching company. Then as a consultant for pretty much every type of industry except off-shore, construction and oil/gas as I either have no H&S expertise in them or don't want to be involved in them. The H&S side of it is the same, just how you implement it may change depending on the industry or individual business. As long as you are competent in the H&S issues in your prospective new industry, or capable of becoming so, then go for it. Changing industries can be a breath of fresh air and renew interest in the job.
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh »

You have good experience and qualifications - but try and stress your risk management skills and experience including PTW and control systems.

If you want to work in Oil and Gas or offshore - do not put yourself through any courses - employing companies will pay for the courses they think you require for the role.

Dave
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy