Moderator: Moderators

Safety
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Food Manufacturing Industry

RIDDOR or Not

Post by Safety »

Hi all, not sure to RIDDOR this or not, what's your thoughts:

Employee was walking as normal when a 'pop' was heard, employee was then seen limping, on further checking, employees ankle was very swollen, took to hospital. Diagnosed with a fractured foot.

The employee was just walking at the time and was not actually working as such, employee was walking to the canteen, did not slip, trip or fall.

RIDDOR or not?
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts..............
markholly
Student
Student

Re: RIDDOR or Not

Post by markholly »

Hello,

Could this be an accident that happened outside of work and they are trying to pass off as it happened at work? Personally I would not report this one as surly it can't be classed as a work related accident. Yes it happened at work but not during an activity only walking to get some dinner.

But I have only been in a H&S role for 9 month so I will look forward to other peoples views on this.

Thanks

Mark .salut
ssmith65

Post by ssmith65 »

Yes, reportable.

You have at least one of the `specifired injuries` as you have a fracture which is other than to a finger, thumb or toe and I have no doubt that the IP is going to be off work for a while so you have a seperate reason there to report as an Over-seven-day incapacitation of a worker.

When you make the report just include all the details.
SKD
Student
Student

Post by SKD »

To me it will not be RIDDOR, as no work activities were being conducted at the time and nor did any working conditions/equipment cause the injury.

I know of one person who had something similar, I believe it may be a stress fracture from what you described.

George
Safetysmurf
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Construction and Manufacturing

Post by Safetysmurf »

Hi Safety,

Take a look at the regulations definitions.

www.hse.gov.uk/riddor/key-definitions.htm

I would say that it is not work related even though it happened whilst at work, although it will probably be reportable if they are off more than seven days
RIDDOR only requires you to report accidents if they happen ‘out of or in connection with work’. The fact that there is an accident at work premises does not, in itself, mean that the accident is work-related – the work activity itself must contribute to the accident. An accident is ‘work-related’ if any of the following played a significant role:

the way the work was carried out
any machinery, plant, substances or equipment used for the work or
the condition of the site or premises where the accident happened
Hope this helps
SS
Safety
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Food Manufacturing Industry

Post by Safety »

ssmith65 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:30 am Yes, reportable.

You have at least one of the `specifired injuries` as you have a fracture which is other than to a finger, thumb or toe and I have no doubt that the IP is going to be off work for a while so you have a seperate reason there to report as an Over-seven-day incapacitation of a worker.

When you make the report just include all the details.

But this was not caused by any work activity, only caused by walking so could have happened outside of the work premises walking to the shop for example. The employee will be off sick for more than 7 days yes but not off sick due to a work related accident. I am going to log this in my internal reports but not RIDDOR.
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts..............
targetzero

Post by targetzero »

Based on the info given - not reportable if it just happened as the person was walking along and was not associated with carrying out a task which led to it or caused by any defect with the premise. As Safety Smurf has stated above.

Regards

TZ
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh »

Not reportable to RIDDOR - but investigate the route taken for any potential risk areas to prevent any recurrence
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.
Juan Carlos
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by Juan Carlos »

Good afternoon,
IMO this is not RIDDOR reportable. I have had similar incidents and on discussion with the HSE (actually one of the guys that were involved in the drafting of the Regs) I was explained quite well that this doesn't fall under RIDDOR. Providing that there's not environmental factors that could have contributed to the injury. Again, as some have already said, I would still record and investigate as necessary.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy