Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Mikejames161
Student
Student

Safety boot for a medical condition

Post by Mikejames161 »

Hi all

After some advice. I have a member of staff who has had his big toe fused so cannot bend it anymore. Wearing his standard steel toe cap boots is causing him pain so I am looking into boots which will help with his pain. Any suggestions?
Essex

Re: Safety boot for a medical condition

Post by Essex »

Can you assess the boots out? Are they actually required? Is there a risk to toe injury?

I have been wearing steel toe caps for 20 years and never known a case in which they have stopped an injury.
Education is the key. A manager should always stand by their team. They employed them.
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh »

Completely agree that elimination of the need for safety boots is the first option. But if the risk assessment requires them then the operator must comply.

Do you have an Occupational Health support resource you could speak to?
Failing that get your PPE supplier in to see if he has anything that may be suitable. This may be rather costly compared to your usual supply but if you cannot find an agreeable solution then you could be open to a complaint to an employment tribunal
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.
Mikejames161
Student
Student

Post by Mikejames161 »

Yes unfortunately the operative is working as a site manager on a COMAH site so cant remove the need for steel toe capped boots. In his office he wears standard shoes for relief but the majority of the time he has to wear the boots as part of the specified PPE requirements of the terminal. I will as the PPE suppliers. Thank you for your replies
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh »

As a site manager he must be seen as leading by example so must be complying and encouraging everyone to comply with the site rules and requirements
Essex

Post by Essex »

This is exactly what is wrong with sites these days. They see things as black or white. Sometimes there are grey areas that need to be looked at like this example.
Education is the key. A manager should always stand by their team. They employed them.
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh »

Please explain further please?
Essex

Post by Essex »

PPE is there to serve a purpose if it is required. Not to make someone look good.

There are too many questions to ask the Op on this one but there are so many ways steel toe cap boots can be assessed out of a situation.

Simply saying that he is a site manager is not the teason we wear PPE.
Penfold
Crikey DM
Crikey DM

Post by Penfold »

This is exactly what is wrong with sites these days. They see things as black or white. Sometimes there are grey areas that need to be looked at like this example.
I think Mike was stating that due to the COMAH site he has to wear the safety shoes out on site not just because he was a site manager.

Moving away from this argument and back on topic - I have always worked closely with suppliers on this type of occasion and got the person concerned to go in and try and find the best pair of boot/shoes for them. Generally good suppliers have a large amount of shapes and styles that will fit most instances, or can offer advice on what steps to take if they haven't got anything to wear.

Hope this helps Mike
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten."
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh »

"Simply saying that he is a site manager is not the reason we wear PPE."

Agreed - but as a manager he is more than likely part of the team that decided on the need for PPE - and as a leader people will look to him for examples of best practice!
Kennymac
Student
Student
Twitter: @_kenduck

Post by Kennymac »

What about different types of boots? I use a pair of magnums at my work, they have a toe cap, anti-slip soles conform to an BS standard for the police/security /military standards (or they say they do) very comfy. Would they do the trick?
I don't really need them at my work, I picked up the wrong pair at the shop and was rushing to get to work. :roll:
casper
Student
Student

Post by casper »

Hi Mike,

I had issues with safety boots for a number of years due to a medical condition.
After trial and error with a large number of different types of boots/shoes, I found Dr Martens Industrial Airwair with composite toe and midsole worked brilliantly for me.
Very light, comfortable to wear and depending on type of work you are doing last a lot longer than most other boots I've tried out.

Casper :D

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy