Moderator: Moderators

Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Re: Delivery drivers and unloading

Post by Blackstone »

Andyblue wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:02 pm
Blackstone wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:45 pm [quote="Jack Kane" post_id=351443 time=1533845860 u

I’m thinking the best way to do it is to take the drivers keys, the person unloading holes them until the vehicle if fully unloaded then he can give the keys back when he is happy for the driver to leave.
That’s fine. What do you do about the driver? Stay in the cab or elsewhere? It does mean no breaks for flt until the un/load is completed.
Generally it’s only one or two items or pallets to unload, not a whole trucks worth. We might only get one or two a day that need an FLT to unload.

Driver would stay in cab unless we need to unload and lift over his cab.

Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

Blackstone wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:13 am
Andyblue wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:02 pm
Blackstone wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:45 pm [quote="Jack Kane" post_id=351443 time=1533845860 u

I’m thinking the best way to do it is to take the drivers keys, the person unloading holes them until the vehicle if fully unloaded then he can give the keys back when he is happy for the driver to leave.
That’s fine. What do you do about the driver? Stay in the cab or elsewhere? It does mean no breaks for flt until the un/load is completed.
Generally it’s only one or two items or pallets to unload, not a whole trucks worth. We might only get one or two a day that need an FLT to unload.

Driver would stay in cab unless we need to unload and lift over his cab.

Glen
That makes life easier - in cab or out of cab really deprnfs on the circs.
Your original drive-away driver sounds more like a rogue driver than anything else but a helpful incident to prompt a review. Good luck
afdmello

Post by afdmello »

We too had an incident when a truck rolled forward and struck a door as the driver did not engage the brake. We implemented the wheel chocks.
We tried to take the keys but drivers can have duplicate keys and they did not like to be asked for their keys. We tried to disconnect the air from the trailer but the drivers complained that it takes time for the pressure to be built up.
We offload steel angles and rods using crane. The operator confirms brakes are engaged. The driver removes the tarps and sits in the cab. Operator installs the wheel chocks. Offloads and informs the driver. removes the wheel chocks and hands over the documents to the driver.

This has worked so far.
AFD
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Post by Blackstone »

Hi all,

There have been some developments that have thrown up a few questions...

Our employee with the poorly hip was off work for more than 7 days.
As the injury was caused by the other company is it they or us that need to report under RIDDOR?

Our employee has talked to his union and is now talking about putting a claim in, but he doesn't want to claim against us, but against the delivery company. He has asked for photos or videos we have but I am reluctant to give them to him at this stage, as I want to understand the position, in the best interest of my company.

I would be interested if anyone could advise the best course of action for this?

Thanks, and interested to see your thoughts on both Q's ./thumbsup..

Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy