Moderator: Moderators

dallynj
Student
Student
Twitter: @dallynj
Industry Sector: chemical

behavioral safety

Post by dallynj »

Hi all, we have a behavioral safety scheme at my place of work that follows the traditional route of observing working practices etc. It was first implemented about 16 years ago and hasn't really progressed since. In the early years it proved a huge success resulting in over 1,000,000 hours without an LTA and accidents are generally few and far between now. The problem now is despite a few half hearted re-launches it seems to have hit a complete dead end.

Has anybody had a similar scheme that has slowed down and have you done anything to revamp it that has proved successful?

Thanks
Essex

Re: behavioral safety

Post by Essex »

In my opinion the key to behavioral safety is to have the people on the ground involved.

Train those that are already competent in their role further to develop them into having a safe mind while appreciative of the task in hand. This will mean that those around these people will respect much more what they have to say.

Too many H&S proffessionals that have little or no underdtanding of the role and workers in my experience turn off.

Avoid big announcements and cliches. Just start with selecting a few key personell for further training and reward this increased responsibilty with an increase in wage.

Look to actually change the culture of your workplace not pay lipsevice to a buzzword. Reward the reporting of incidents and close calls. Create a fair blame culture. Do all this by actually doing it not just updating policies.
Education is the key. A manager should always stand by their team. They employed them.
dallynj
Student
Student
Twitter: @dallynj
Industry Sector: chemical

Post by dallynj »

thanks, all employees are trained observers and if we all carry out one observation per quarter we get a bonus. the problem is though, most observations are not very good and just basically a tick box exercise.

I am trying to convince management to only pay the bonus if observations are done outside of an employees normal working area, eg IT personnel go to the engineering workshop and vice versa.
Essex

Post by Essex »

One a quarter will not change behaviours.

When I go out I usually find at least five in a day.

This is where I would start.
Education is the key. A manager should always stand by their team. They employed them.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy