Fixed Electrical Testing

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

jamesstruth

Fixed Electrical Testing

Post by jamesstruth »

Hi

My company lease buildings out and the question has been raised as to who is responsible for the fixed electrical testing. My thoughts are is the building must be tested and in date when we hand it over to the tenant and then it is up to the tenant to upkeep this unless other wise stated in the lease. Would this be right?
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: Fixed Electrical Testing

Post by bernicarey »

Hi
Basically...YES
.salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh »

I would disagree - the landlord has the duty of care to ensure the buildings they lease out are safe and compliant. That includes testing

If you have a leased building with multiple occupants then how would the landlord know everyone was complying?

Unless - the lease agreement specifically states that the lease holder is responsible for the checks!
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Well feel free to disagree, but there's 2 aspects here and your argument is equally valid, just not for the question that was asked.
jamesstruth wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:20 pm My thoughts are is the building must be tested and in date when we hand it over to the tenant and then it is up to the tenant to upkeep this unless other wise stated in the lease.
Single building, single tenant,then up to tenant or landlord depending on what the lease says.
Over the time where I have been doing FRAs, I ask this question every time and it's around 50/50 whether the landlord had retained that responsibility or passed it to the tenant, of single tenancy buildings.
ddlh wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:28 pm If you have a leased building with multiple occupants ......
....Unless - the lease agreement specifically states that the lease holder is responsible for the checks!
Urmmm.... Yes. Clearly if you have multiple tenants then it's often not practicable to make it the tenants responsibility.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

AdamJ
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @thenoisechap

Post by AdamJ »

I rented a single occupant Office for ten years and fixed electrical testing was the responsibility of the landlord - my contract was that they provided me with a building including electrical supply which they were responsible for. Same with the heating system. It all depends on what the contract states which can be negotiated between the two parties before signing.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy