Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Delivery drivers and unloading

Post by Blackstone »

Hi all,

Interesting query I have...

Our Storeman raised a question that a recent delivery driver remained in his cab while his vehicle was unload of steel by us. The Storeman said the driver should leave the cab and stand clear in case something hit the cab.

I was of the opinion that the best place for the driver was in his cab as he does not necessarily know the hazards of our yard.

Our current loading/unloading RA does not mention the driver of the vehicle at all.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: Delivery drivers and unloading

Post by bernicarey »

Depends...
Depends what you're unloading. If you're lifting 10t of steel beams over the cab, then don't stay in it. If you're unloading pallets or steel rolls off the back, then have them stay but ensure they don't drive off by taking keys, chocking the vehicle etc.
;)
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

Not surprised at the comment about the RA forgetting the driver, safe in/loading often focuses on fly, lifting, straps etc and forgets people
What is the storeman’s basis for their option to have the driver out of the cab. Is it a better option. As above, the in/loading methods are a key feature.
Driver in cab has benefits, but as they are likely to be the ones to unstrap etc, they are already out of the cab so may as easy for them to wit elsewher. But of course that assumes there are facilities for the driver to be elsewhere and at least as safe as if they had stayed in the cab
At least it gives to option to review RAs and action accordingly
Essex

Post by Essex »

Surely this can be solved reletively easily by just erecting some temporary barriers atound the cab when off-loading.
Education is the key. A manager should always stand by their team. They employed them.
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

There are loads of variables to consider and it's really down to what suits your site best. You may have very little room to swing a cat, the unloading may lead onto a public highway, there may be multiple vehicles being unloaded at one time, different types of fork lift with varying visibility...etc.

The HSE has some really good advice in their INDG199 workplace transport safety leaflet - http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg199.htm

Key points for me for the driver is for them never to leave the vehicle without it being parked properly and the key removed. I've seen others go for additional controls like traffic lights in front of the cab as a final visual for the driver, or a big bright yellow physical barrier across the drivers door with information on where the key can be found, wheel chocks for the cab and trailer, a big plastic stop sign in front of the cab.

Big bright yellow seems to be popular :lol:

The guidance talks about the driver waiting in a safe place, but it also talks about segregating people not involved in the unloading/loading. That might well involve the driver for at least some of the time.

Either way, whatever controls you have in place will need to be communicated effectively to the driver, regardless of language barriers, and supervised appropriately. Supervisors should be made fully aware of their responsibilities to ensure this happens.

Like I said, many variables but it doesn't need to be mega difficult.

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Blackstone »

HI all,

Thanks for the contributions and comments, some interesting stuff there to read and think about.

Since the original post we have had an incident in our yard. A 7.5t flat bed lorry was off loaded of some metal. As the forklift and banksman were placing the load onto bearers, the lorry driver was obviously in a hurry and starting trying to turn round. He collided with the back of the forklift, narrowly missed a parked car then drove off without stopping! :shock:
I pulled the CCTV and see the incident.

It clear shows that we need more control. So first to contact the company and driver about there actions, then review the RA and put some changes in place.
I think taking the keys off of any driver where we need to crane or forklift off a load is a must now.

Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh »

Have driver in the cab at all times or in a designated area where the truck driver can see him. Truck driver must stop if any pedestrian movement in his area.
As for taking the keys from the driver - i wouldnt as previous experience puts any truck / brake issues back on you - and the lorry driver may have to wander about the yard looking for the driver who has his keys!

Chock vehicle if required - key issue is truck driver has to see where the driver is at all times. No pedestrian movement allowed when truck operating
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi

Post by Jack Kane »

Blackstone wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:35 am Since the original post we have had an incident in our yard.
Thankfully there were no injuries.

This is what I love about these forums. We all have day to day challenges and sometimes just need to have a conversation to share our experiences and best practices. By doing that, we preserve that conversation for others to find, read and tap into in the future.

Hopefully you and your team can come up with simple controls out of it all and nobody gets hurt.

As for the driver, I fully recommend a slap in the face with a wet fish [smilie=trout2.gif]

Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Blackstone »

Jack Kane wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:17 pm
Blackstone wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:35 am Since the original post we have had an incident in our yard.
Thankfully there were no injuries
Don’t speak too soon Jack!

The chap driving the FLT had his foot on the break when he got hit. He complained the day after that he struggled to sleep that night as his hip was hurting. Then Today he was still in pain and visited the local minor injuries to get it checked out. Haven’t heard a diagnosis yet.

I’m thinking the best way to do it is to take the drivers keys, the person unloading holes them until the vehicle if fully unloaded then he can give the keys back when he is happy for the driver to leave.

Glen
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi

Post by Jack Kane »

Can't make this stuff up Glen! :shock:

AdamJ
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @thenoisechap

Post by AdamJ »

Interesting topic. I have a lovely big van. I don’t do deliveries so it doesn’t apply in reality, but if I did and someone I didn’t know wanted to take my keys we would have a big problem. I wouldn’t hand the keys to my vehicle over to someone I don’t know to take them God knows where. Sooner or later some numpty would lose them!
Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

Blackstone wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:45 pm [quote="Jack Kane" post_id=351443 time=1533845860 u

I’m thinking the best way to do it is to take the drivers keys, the person unloading holes them until the vehicle if fully unloaded then he can give the keys back when he is happy for the driver to leave.
That’s fine. What do you do about the driver? Stay in the cab or elsewhere? It does mean no breaks for flt until the un/load is completed.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy