Domestic smoke alarms

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

NGC
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Domestic smoke alarms

Post by NGC »

Hi Guys,
Does anyone have experience of domestic smoke alarms being used in a commercial (retail) premises?
I cant find a straight answer about servicing requirements? Does anyone have any guidance on this?

Thanks in advance. :D .salut
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Domestic smoke alarms

Post by Messy »

Blimey! You are going to have to give a whole shed load of info before I or others can comment.
It's not usual practice to use domestic smoke detection in commercial - non residential premises. But it's not impossible. You just need to justify why a domestic (so called part 6 system) is in place over a commercial system (part 1 system as it complies with BS5839 part 1).

So if you could provide details of the risk that is being mitigated by installing that system (size of building. Means of escape available , occupancy and the use of it) you would be in a better place.

BTW. I assume you mean hard wired 240v linked detectors- or do you mean battery only stand alone units??
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

It really does depend on the premises to a certain degree.
You've stated just
commercial (retail) premises
so if it's a small 'lock-up' shop that only a handful of people can get into, like the traditional 'Corner Shop' or something like in 'Open All Hours' then why not, as it's better than nothing, which is the other likely option.

I once encountered a small industrial unit where there was a battery powered domestic alarm hung on some string from the roof. You could quite literally lower it down on the string to change the battery!! :shock:
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Essex

Post by Essex »

Almost certainly no.

Domestic smoke detector units would not meet the requirements to warn the public that use the retail premises that they need to evacuate.
Education is the key. A manager should always stand by their team. They employed them.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

..... and there we have it ladies and gentleman. This is the wonderful workd of fire safety. Three replies and two different views!! 2 x perhaps and 1 x 8 don't think so.

I am being unfair as all 3 of us are saying it's possible, but only to cover very low risks.

I did a hairdressing salon which had a tanning booth in an inner room. The small salon had no requirement for fire detection other than to cover the means of escape from the inner room

Even then the risk was tiny. Staff would be in the shop 99% of the time so would be able to raise the alarm. But to ensure there would be no issues in the council issuing a special treatment licence, it was agreed a part 6 hardwired domestic smoke detector would be fitted in the access room/shop.

I supplied a rationale in the FRA of risk and cost proportionality as to have a part 1 full panel, manual call points and sounders would have been excessive.

I cannot see any circumstances where I would suggest a battery smoke detector in a retail setting though
hammer1
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Commercial, residential, construction

Post by hammer1 »

Messy wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:34 am ..... and there we have it ladies and gentleman. This is the wonderful workd of fire safety. Three replies and two different views!! 2 x perhaps and 1 x 8 don't think so.

I am being unfair as all 3 of us are saying it's possible, but only to cover very low risks.

I did a hairdressing salon which had a tanning booth in an inner room. The small salon had no requirement for fire detection other than to cover the means of escape from the inner room

Even then the risk was tiny. Staff would be in the shop 99% of the time so would be able to raise the alarm. But to ensure there would be no issues in the council issuing a special treatment licence, it was agreed a part 6 hardwired domestic smoke detector would be fitted in the access room/shop.

I supplied a rationale in the FRA of risk and cost proportionality as to have a part 1 full panel, manual call points and sounders would have been excessive.

I cannot see any circumstances where I would suggest a battery smoke detector in a retail setting though

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And they said moving away from prescriptive guidance would be a good thing eh :lol:

When you say 'domestic' smoke detection, it needs to be clear what that means, battery only Grade F then No No, if Grade D as per BS5839 Part 6 (mains connected. battery back up) and is interlinked with other detectors in retail unit - then that's a maybe.

All depends on location/relevant persons etc etc - If by retail you mean a small stand alone shop with a few rooms front and rear access/egress then yes for sure Grade D it is. You would need to up your game on the testing part and record it, then have an annual service.

If by retail you mean a café under flats in a period building, then No its BS5839 Part 1
The song goes...{I'm gonna walk down to electric avenue and I'm gonna say ' have you got PAT testing records for all that mate'}

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy