Temperature

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Shadmeister
Student
Student

Temperature

Post by Shadmeister »

Obviously with the temperatures being as they have recently our factory workers have been very intrigued by the temperature of their local environment. We don't have thermometers around as such (nothing to display the temperature at location) but do have temperature sensors that feed back to our heating control panel which supervisors/management use to determine whether risk assessment controls should come into play, is this appropriate? Related legislation/guidance doesn't seem to give any option other than a thermometer which would mean that its not, in my opinion, but it does seem a shame when the company have something, probably more accurate, in place which people can still use to determine the temperature within their area.

Thanks

Shad
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: Temperature

Post by bernicarey »

Well, good question...
The Workplace Regs say at 7(3)
A sufficient number of thermometers shall be provided to enable persons at work to determine the temperature in any workplace inside a building.
Therefore the intent in 1992 was that 'persons at work' could determine the temperature of their workplace.
Ergo, I would submit that having the temperature only know to the Supervisors/Managers is a breach of the Regs, since it prevents the majority knowing and does not allow them to know that an unscrupulous boss is lying to them about the temperature.

if you can get that same info displayed to the general employee, then you don't have to have thermometers everywhere.

That's one of the reasons that one of the few merchandising items I have to promote my business isn't pens (because lets face it, who really cares about a free pen), but cling attached digital strip room thermometers that I can hand out to clients or people at events etc. ;)
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Workers have the right to know the temperatures in their workplace either by some sort of wall-mounted device that could easily be seen by all, or by thermometer/s placed in various areas where temperatures may differ.

If there is a Safety Committee, then Management should also allow them access to this heating control panel.

The TUC are trying to bring in an upper limit, but it is very difficult to define such. Too many other factors to take into consideration, so no one-size will every fit all in my opinion.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Shadmeister
Student
Student

Post by Shadmeister »

Thanks for your feedback.

Not a shabby idea that berni :thumbup:

Alexis, agree if the staff don't have access to the viewing panel and the temperatures related to their area of work then its pointless.

This HSE guidance does state an 'acceptable thermal comfort zone'........https://www.ucu.org.uk/media/1357/Therm ... omfort.pdf
Essex

Post by Essex »

What will a thermometer achieve? If a person is uncomfortable due to heat it is what it is and should be addressed. For example I get hot at much lower temperatures than Mrs Essex.
Education is the key. A manager should always stand by their team. They employed them.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Essex wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:56 pm What will a thermometer achieve? If a person is uncomfortable due to heat it is what it is and should be addressed. For example I get hot at much lower temperatures than Mrs Essex.
Other than legal compliance, I'll admit not a lot, at least as regards an individual. But it is information; people like information.
There is no legal limits on temperature, but there is a legal requirement in the Regs to provide a 'thermometer' that employees can access to know what their workplace temperature is. It's one of the few times our legislation is so prescriptive; there must be provision so that staff can be informed and all that such knowledge brings with it.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Shadmeister
Student
Student

Post by Shadmeister »

Essex wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:56 pm What will a thermometer achieve? If a person is uncomfortable due to heat it is what it is and should be addressed. For example I get hot at much lower temperatures than Mrs Essex.
As already mentioned, legal compliance!

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy