Moderator: Moderators

Safety
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Food Manufacturing Industry

Accident, Incident etc Spreadsheet

Post by Safety »

Hi all,

I am in the process of reviewing our current spreadsheet, which isn't great, I have checked the downloads section and cant seen to find anything in there. Does anyone have a template they would share we me?

Thanks in advance
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts..............
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: Accident, Incident etc Spreadsheet

Post by stephen1974 »

I think you pretty much have to create your own to suite your needs as every site and industry is different. It also depends on what you want to achieve from the data. There are so many variables I don't think you could really make a template, except a very basic one you would have to heavily modify to repesent the data you want collected.

I created a simple excel spreadsheet that lists:
Customer or Employee
Location of Accident
Activity at the Time
Type of Injury
Severity of Injury (an internal scale we use)
CCTV Recorded Yes or No.

Each week I go to a site, look through the accident books, record on the spread sheet a date, surname, and then place a 1 in each relevant box (from the list above) and I use the comment box to add in basic details.

That's then added up automatically and carried over to a spreadsheet for the year that breaks the results down in to totals for each part for each month. So for example, I can see at a glance we had 16 customer accidents for May, No employee accidents, 15 were minor, 1 went to hospital, 8 were from the battle beam, 3 were from the jump tower, 5 were General jumping, and so on and so on...
ScottD
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Industry Sector: Logistics & warehousing

Post by ScottD »

Hi,

My spreadsheet covers the following items:
Date, Location (multi site), incident # , type (LTI, FAC, NM etc.), body part (if applicable), spill liquid (what was spilled), RIDDOR reportable, # lost days, actual severity, involving (employees, sub contractors visitors etc.), event description, direct cause, substandard act, substandard condition, root cause.

each column is filtered for ease of retrieving info and for reporting.
Cunningly disguised as a responsible adult
Siblo
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Siblo »

Hi All,

I know this is an old post but I'm bringing it back because the topic is the same.

I have built a spreadsheet to record and analyse accident data, it's deliberately very basic to enable root cause over big data and only records department/area of incident and type of injury.

This enables me to see peeks in type of accident or location of accident, I can then correlate this info against busy periods or introduction of a new process against a possible incorrect use or type of PPE or missing training.

HERE'S THE QUESTION.

I am now looking at introducing another variable, "time with company" and/or "Age", and the crux of it is..

When do they stop being young people? and at what age does complacency become a real factor?

I'm finding this so subjective i'm not sure I can quantify it.

And the first person to say 18 needs to meet my 21 year old at home.

Thanks in advance
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

From personal experience, I'd say that 30 would be about right.

Seriously though, I think every definition I've seen sets it to 18, but if you can get the actual ages of the victims, that would allow you to plot the accidents on a chart, identify any trends in a evidence-based manner, and then you could say something like "We need to provide additional training to anyone under 26" without people complaining.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Siblo
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Siblo »

That's exactly the info I'm trying to develop.

the problem arises when I come across a 3rd year apprentice who's very mature, thorough and sensible (currently 19) and a 35 year old who plays Fortnite and lives with her mum, (yes you read that correctly).

How do I quantify the "What were you thinking" factor in relation to job experience and age.

And just to be clear, this happens at the other end of the scale too with complacency.
abarnett
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @adb82
Industry Sector: Warehousing

Post by abarnett »

The Management regs define young person as under 18...

I'd say that complacency is more of a response to individual circumstances than an age thing - it may also be the formation of poor habits forming in the work process with the old lags leading the newer staff members astray. If established workers are having incidents then it may be that the relevant SSOW are not being followed an unsafe corner cutting becomes the norm?
Safety doesn't happen by accident
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

I suppose that you could develop some kind of 'risk awareness' questionnaire, which would give you a method of identifying those in need of additional training, which could get the the core of what you are trying to access, sidestepping the age and experience variables which will always have plenty of exceptions.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

You cant really quantify competence.
I wouldn't go with age, or length of service, except to say, are they still within their probationary period as one would hope they are being assessed by a supervisor and only coming out of their probationary period once they are deemed competent. I appreciate that people skip that part and just sign off on people to avoid the hassle of recruiting and training but hey, thats a separate issue.

If you have investigated the accident you could add a box for misadventure or misconduct.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy