Moderator: Moderators

joaorosa80
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Wording Risk Assesment

Post by joaorosa80 »

Hi to all,
I am reviewing Risk Assessments that are written in the following way:
"Ensure that a suitable fire extinguisher media is to hand during all operations."

I don't believe that there is a rule for this, but I'll rephrase for "Adequate Fire extinguisher are available to use by operatives".

Your considerations, please.
Steve M
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing and distribution

Re: Wording Risk Assesment

Post by Steve M »

I am assuming this is for a specific task.

If so why not state the correct extinguisher to have available.

For example

A "CO2/foam/water" fire extinguisher must be close at hand and the operator trained in its use.

The training part is important, it may be a controlled environment where containment is built in or may be wiser to evacuate immediately.
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Post by Blackstone »

Agree with the above.

By stating the correct extinguisher, there is no ambiguity to the statement.

Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
joaorosa80
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by joaorosa80 »

Hello,

Is not indicating or not the type of fire extinguisher.
Is about "must be close" when the fire extinguisher if there.

Instead of:
"CO2/foam/water" fire extinguisher must be close at hand and the operator trained in its use.

I prefer to use:
CO2 fire extinguisher is close at hand and the operator trained to his use.

If the fire extinguisher is not there, should go in my understanding to the section actions that need to be taken.

I am the only person doing like this?
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Can i ask what the task Is? Hotworks perhaps?
Steve M
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing and distribution

Post by Steve M »

joaorosa80 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:41 pm Hello,

If the fire extinguisher is not there, should go in my understanding to the section actions that need to be taken.

I am the only person doing like this?
There is no need to put "if it is not there", it is not an option "it must be there" if not, they can not complete the task.

You can put a statement, "if any of these requirements can not be met you must consult your manager or a H&S advisor before proceeding".

I am wondering the same as Messy, why is there a requirement for an extinguisher.
joaorosa80
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by joaorosa80 »

@Steve M is a good idea adding the "if any of these requirements can not be met you must consult your manager or a H&S advisor before proceeding", however, and I want to outline is that when someone writes "Ensure that a suitable fire extinguisher media is to hand during all operations", is not recording the findings of a time and place task observation.

It' s a welding task.

An example: http://www.hse.gov.uk/risk/casestudies/ ... ehouse.pdf
On page 5, What are you already doing? "■ Fire extinguishers located throughout warehouse"
bigshineybike

Post by bigshineybike »

I've read this through I don't understand it.
Is using google translator to convert wording to scandinavian then back into English, really necessary?

I have found myself using this sort of official sounding syntax when filling in the computerised forms our company use.
Reading statements I made last year has me wondering what on earth I actually meant. Further to that do the staff understand it?

Campaign for plain Engish :D
joaorosa80
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by joaorosa80 »

bigshineybike wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:19 pm I've read this through I don't understand it.
Is using google translator to convert wording to scandinavian then back into English, really necessary?
Hi
English is not my first language and at the end of the day, the writing does not come out as I wish.
bigshineybike wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:19 pm I have found myself using this sort of official sounding syntax when filling in the computerised forms our company use.
Reading statements I made last year has me wondering what on earth I actually meant. Further to that do the staff understand it?

Campaign for plain Engish :D
Sometimes when we write, we not only try to give a meaning to the sentence but also try to place an intention. It's totally normal the way that you felt.

Regarding your campaign, what Engish means? 8)
CharlesChristiensen

Post by CharlesChristiensen »

Blackstone wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:10 pm Agree with the above.

By stating the correct extinguisher, there is no ambiguity to the statement.

Glen
Exactly
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

The way I word all my risk assessments and safe working procedures is to assume that you have a completely new fresh of the turnip truck employee reading them.

Make it simple, make it understandable. People have to understand the risks and control measures that are in place. Don't try and be shakespeare and use fancy words or phrases - you are not trying to impress anyone you are trying to impart knowledge and instruction. Don't use jargon or acronyms unless you explain what they mean. The phrase 'fire extinguisher media' is, imo, unacceptable, because jimmy jones will think you are on about a you tube channel or something because of the word media. It will confuse people.

If you can be precise about things such as type of extinguisher then be precise.

Don't skimp on the content either. It isn't twitter, there are no word counts. Vague News risk assessments are less useful than a roll of andrex.
Madness
Student
Student

Post by Madness »

I thought the question was more about the tense to be written in. Such as saying "XYZ Fire extinguisher to be present" or "Fire extinguisher present". I have gotten muddled with this in my RA's before. Switching between the way i have said stuff and picked myself up on it.

I write them now as facts. So i wont say "Manual handling training to be provided......Lifting equipment to be used" i make sure i saw "Manual handling training IS provided.......Lifting equipment IS used.." etc.

I also agree to make it simple and in plain language. So "Foam filled fire extinguisher is present with operator trained in its use" or something. Make it simple and imo word it as fact.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy