RAMS

Discuss management systems in here, including - HS(G)65; ISO 45001; ISO 45003; ISO 14001

Moderator: Moderators

ck.adams

RAMS

Post by ck.adams »

Hi

I work for a medium sized construction contractor and I am currently in the process of trying to develop a system to check, review and chase up Sub-Contractor RAMS for work on our sites - does anyone on here have experience of this or have any inspiration they could provide on a successful system they use or have used in the past?

Thanks

Chris
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: RAMS

Post by Alexis »

Morning Chris. :wave:

I had a wee search of our forums and found these past posts which may offer some insight until our people in the know come in with their experiences.

http://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/fo ... actor+RAMS
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Safetysmurf
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Construction and Manufacturing

Post by Safetysmurf »

Hi C.K

Subcontractor appraisal forms should be sent out precontract to sub contractors and information received before the contract starts.
This information can be put on a spreadsheet and controlled by yourself on an annual basis. I would ask for information such as : - RAMS, liability insurance, H&S policy statement of intent, equal opportunities policy, subcontractor questionnaire which include information on topics such as previous accident information and any previous prosecutions, improvement or prohibition notices, who holds responsibilities for H&S,training, first aid, PPE, Young persons,noise and HAV assessments,COSHH, Environmental responsibilities, temporary works, welfare, asbestos training, etc. I use a traffic light system on my spreadsheet that informs me when i need to ask for the information when it runs out but this needs to be input.
Spreadsheets take time to develop but you'll get there in the end.

Good luck,

SS
neboshnoob
Student
Student

Post by neboshnoob »

Hi ck.adams,

I don't know if this is any help or even what you were after? It's the pre-qualification questionnaire (PQQ) we use.

Like Safetysmurf said...
Safetysmurf wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:34 pm Hi C.K

Subcontractor appraisal forms should be sent out precontract to sub contractors and information received before the contract starts.
We send this out before anything happens. If we are happy with the information we get back we move forward to the next step in using the contractor.

Safetysmirfs spreadsheet idea sounds like a great idea and one I may well "borrow"
Attachments
Contractor Evaluation Questionnaire.docx
(24.76 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
ck.adams

Post by ck.adams »

Hi Chaps

Thanks for your input - definitely some information there we don't include in ours which I will use to develop further, but we do currently use PQQ to get the contractor to an approved contractor so we do have that in place - the problem I am having is once we have an approved contractor, for each job they do for us they need to send us different sets of RAMS depending on the nature of their task/activity. I am new to the company and they currently don't have a system to track the RAMS they have received for each job so I am currently just trying to keep on top of them with a folder system on my computer. Maybe I will suggest, as you have, that we request the RAMS at PQQ stage but then I'd be concerned that these would just be generic RAMS and not job/site specific.

Thanks
Safetysmurf
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Construction and Manufacturing

Post by Safetysmurf »

Hi ck
You're correct that they would send generic RAMS at pqq stage. This is to see if their RAMS are up to scratch.
Site specific RAMS are scrutinised on site by our site managers unless they are high risk activities, then they are forwarded to myself to pass or ask for additional control measures etc. You can't control it all. You'd be looking at RAMS for days on end.

Hope this helps
safetylady
Student
Student

Post by safetylady »

Searched the HSE pages for RAMS. Can only find reference to mechanical type of ram.
Can we please stop using / encouraging invented jargon and beaurocracy.
Especially when on a separate path to accepted HSE terminology / approaches.
PaulDonaldson
Trainer of all, master of none
Trainer of all, master of none
Twitter: safety-heart

Post by PaulDonaldson »

RAMS is the most commonly used abbreviation for Risk Assessment and Method Statements. It is not invented jargon, im not sure where you are coming from on this one
If you do what you always done, you will get what you always got.
http://www.safety-heart.co.uk Lets us put safety at the HEART of your business

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy