Temperature in the Workplace

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Bigbluebear

Temperature in the Workplace

Post by Bigbluebear »

Hi, I’m a first time poster and looking for some advice.

I have worked for my employer for 16 years in one of their Warehouses, my employer currently has 5 Warehouses throughout the UK, and the Warehouse I work in is based in Scotland.

My problem is that until December 2015 we were never allowed to have any heating on in the Warehouse as it was deemed to be too expensive, I did a little research and put it too my employer that due to my Ill health and a few others within the Warehouse, that the company was putting our Health and Safety at risk.

My Health issues are that I have taken 2 Heart Attacks at work when no heating was on, and the temperature was below 0 Degrees within the Warehouse, which resulted in Hospital stays and having Stents inserted. I have also suffered from 2 Angina attacks that didn’t require hospital treatment.

There are other employees in the same warehouse with Health problems including Asthma.

My employer seemed to back down and allowed us to have the heating on in the winter months if it dropped below 10 Degrees, until yesterday, we have now been told that under no circumstances has the heating to be turned on as it costs too much.

Colin
I would appreciate any help or advice.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Temperature in the Workplace

Post by Alexis »

Hello Colin. If the temperature falls below 13 degrees, then your employer really needs to allow heating, especially with the fact that he knows you have had heart attacks in the past, however, there is only GUIDANCE on this with no set temperatures either too hot or too cold, but...........

Your employer does have his duty of care to his workforce under the Health and Safety at Work Act (and including other H&S Legislation too) and if your employer found himself in a court case for causing illness when he knew his employees had illnesses that could be exacerbated by cold conditions lower than the recommended 13 Celsius, then in my opinion, he wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

I would suggest you contact your H&S Officer if you have one and complain to him/her. Failing that, you could contact your Union person, again if you have one.

Do not just sit back on this one for your own sake please. If your boss either does not allow you correct warm/thermal PPE, allow you to take warm breaks every 15 minutes or won't allow the heating to be turned on, then take it to the HSE. They have an online form you can complete or simply phone them or one of the Government whistle-blower contacts.

Check out this link for details of temperatures. https://www.tuc.org.uk/workplace-issues ... ot-or-cold" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You must not be too cold otherwise you are at risk of further heart troubles as I am sure you are aware.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/concerns.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck Colin and take care with your health.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Bigbluebear

Post by Bigbluebear »

Hi, thank you for your quick reply Alexis.

I'll speak to my Warehouse Manager about it again tomorrow, and if nothing is done about it then I'll have no alternative but to contact H&S.

Colin
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Bigbluebear wrote:Hi, thank you for your quick reply Alexis.

I'll speak to my Warehouse Manager about it again tomorrow, and if nothing is done about it then I'll have no alternative but to contact H&S.

Colin
You're very welcome Colin. Good luck tomorrow. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
stretch3144
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Health and Safety Consultant

Post by stretch3144 »

Take a look at the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992.
Regulation 7:
Temperature in indoor workplaces

7.—(1) During working hours, the temperature in all workplaces inside buildings shall be reasonable.

(2) A method of heating or cooling shall not be used which results in the escape into a workplace of fumes, gas or vapour of such character and to such extent that they are likely to be injurious or offensive to any person.

(3) A sufficient number of thermometers shall be provided to enable persons at work to determine the temperature in any workplace inside a building.

I've been faced with this problem many times in many workplaces. The Regulations are there to protect the employees. If your management doesn't do this they are failing in their duties under Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.
You could suggest to them that an ill health claim will cost them more than the heating cost...
Bigbluebear

Post by Bigbluebear »

Thank you for the reply stretch3144.

I've been writing a letter, that i'm going to send to my Managing Director of the Company I work for, and the part you mention about an Ill Health claim will definitely be inserted alongside there Employers Duty of Care section within the letter.

Thank you to everyone
Coldrop
Major Injury
Major Injury
Industry Sector: Construction,RC Frame,Civils & Utilities

Post by Coldrop »

Just to add to the conversation
I never noticed what's stored in the warehouse so this is just a suggestion...........

Obviously some places of work, including types of warehouses are required to be cold because of what's stored in the warehouse, if this is the case then thermal clothing should be supplied

I'd guess that clothing is cheaper than heating in your case?
Boss would only have to heat a rest room instead, for your breaks out of the cold
Intellectuals solve problems but Geniuses prevent them!
Bigbluebear

Post by Bigbluebear »

It's mainly for storage, but we do have orders that come in palatalised on 40 ft trailers that are then loaded straight onto 18 ton trucks for delivery around Scotland.

There idea of thermal clothing is a T-Shirt and thin summer Jacket with the company's logo on, we have to wear our own hoodies if we want extra clothing.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

I don't think it relevant to your particular scenario, but Infrared heaters can be a cost effective way of heating areas where workers are, without heating the whole warehouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhJnpRtKiZc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

ohreally
Student
Student

Post by ohreally »

Are you guys unionised, if not why not?

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy