NEBOSH OR TUC

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

safetypaul
Student
Student

NEBOSH OR TUC

Post by safetypaul »

hi guys i am looking for some feedback or thoughts on the health and safety diploma. as my diploma is through the TUC way and my first thoughts are that the NEBOSH diploma is far superior or of a higher level but having said that the TUC diploma is the equivalent as the NEBOSH one, it just seems as though the NEBOSH one is maybe more in depth, thoughts please .scratch
SteveDDon
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: NEBOSH OR TUC

Post by SteveDDon »

Hi,

The TUC diploma (or certificate when I did it) is set at level 3 and as such is the equivalent of the NEBOSH certificate.

The NEBOSH diploma is Level 6 i.e. Degree level

Hope that helps with the confusion

Steve
Unite H&S
safetypaul
Student
Student

Post by safetypaul »

Can you tell me how long ago this was as I have been told the TUC diploma has been classed as a equivalent
SteveDDon
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by SteveDDon »

See https://www.unionlearn.org.uk/courses/t ... ety-online" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Details of current course

The TUC diploma gets membership of IOSH at "Technical " level same as the NEBOSH certificate
Unite H&S
jay1979cliff
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Construction

Post by jay1979cliff »

I've been lucky enough to do both and found both to be very different, but equally valuable - it completely depends on your motivations for doing the course.

The TUC diploma is excellent and gives you a really good insight into occupational health, rather than management of health and safety itself. The NEBOSH diploma is heavily geared towards legislation and management of health and safety.

As excellent as it is, the TUC diploma is not equivalent to the nebosh diploma (its level 3 - nebosh cert level - unless this has changed in the past few years) and if your motivation is to get a qualification that helps you get a job in health and safety, the nebosh option will definately open more doors.

If I had the choice of only 1, it would be the nebosh option. But, if you have the time to do both and you can get on the TUC diploma for free, complete it and then move onto the nebosh (as I did) - I couldn't recommend that option enough.

Hope this helps
"Work eight hours and sleep eight hours and make sure that they are not the same hours."
T. Boone Pickens
dave247
Dangerous Dave
Dangerous Dave
Industry Sector: Waste

Post by dave247 »

I think Jay has it spot on. I'm mentoring a guy doing course and it's very wearing the union shoes. This guy says he spent first 3 weeks learning union history with safety and was getting frustrated and nothing he has done yet is anything like NEBOSH but he is only a couple of months in. I'm ex Union and this course helps in that role, it also helps me vastly working with unions on safety issues but getting a job in safety?

I don't think it opens doors as I took my union stuff off my cv in early days as was getting no responses until I did.
For brilliance and, at the same time, for consistency of achievement, for activity in philanthropic enterprise, for astuteness of management and for general alertness, the superiors of Aston Villa cannot be found
safetypaul
Student
Student

Post by safetypaul »

thanks for the feedback guys really helpful stuff ./thumbsup..

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy