Fire Curtains

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Terry81

Fire Curtains

Post by Terry81 »

Can't find any information on how often they should be tested, can anyone shed some light please?
Last edited by WillPool on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Just moved this in here for better exposure
Macca86
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Construction

Re: Fire Curtains

Post by Macca86 »

Hi Terry,

How do they operate? Are they automatic or manual?

You should either have a test key and a switch or they will be activated via alarm / their own detector.

Mac
“Safety is not an intellectual exercise to keep us in work. It is a matter of life and death. It is the sum of our contributions to safety management that determines whether the people we work with live or die” -Sir Brian Appleton
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

BS 8524-2:2013 refers, but I assume the curtains will be installed as part of a fire engineered solution. If this is the case, there should be some package that was supplied when it was installed.

Alternatively, why not get in touch with a maintenance company like Coopers of Hampshire and ask them how much they charge and what would they do to comply with BS 8524-2:2013
Terry81

Post by Terry81 »

Macca86 wrote:Hi Terry,

How do they operate? Are they automatic or manual?

You should either have a test key and a switch or they will be activated via alarm / their own detector.

Mac
They are automatic if the alarm goes off, we can also test that they come down electronically by the push of a button. We haven't received the manuals yet as the builders haven't done the offical hand over.

Do you think a monthly test is too much?

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy