Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Basil
Student
Student

Advice please on padded walls?

Post by Basil »

Hello everyone

This is probably going to sound rather odd, but here goes!

We have a customer who, as a result of his specific medical needs, presents challenging behaviour that includes banging his head repeatedly on the tiled walls of the bathroom at his home. Obviously steps are being taken to try to reduce this behaviour, but that will be a very slow process.

In the meantime we have two problems:
1) He might hurt himself
2) He's really making a mess of the tiled walls!

Our maintenance guys suggested padded walls. Any suggestions (of possible solutions or suplliers of padded walls!) would be gratefully recieved.

Jenni
1nvicta

Re: Advice please on padded walls?

Post by 1nvicta »

Jenni,

This site might help get you started:
http://www.intute.ac.uk/healthandlifesc ... p&id=30309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HTH
Bernard
zenad
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by zenad »

Hi
you could try equipment for sensory rooms or soft play equipment I know they are used by children but would do the job just as well. one company is snoozeland.co.uk i think thats the address
hope that helps
Twinkle Toes
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Waste and recycling

Post by Twinkle Toes »

Rather than padding the walls, what about protective head wear for the person concerned.
[smilie=smiley-faces1.gif]

'Toes
karaya

Post by karaya »

Great suggestion 'Toes,

Jennifer, here is a link to sports protective head wear:

http://www.sugarrays.co.uk/shop/aiba-ap ... ead-guard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The most valuable commodity I know of, is information.
Basil
Student
Student

Post by Basil »

Thanks ever so much for the help. The suggestion of protective headwear was an excellent one.

Just in case anyone ever faces the same dilema, I thought I'd add the link in for a company that provides medical protective headwear:
http://www.westons.com/acatalog/Online_ ... 17057.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks again
Jenni
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh »

Protective headware would be seena s PPe - a last resort. And it would not stop damage to the walls?
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.
KMaguire
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by KMaguire »

I believe it would stop the damage to the walls but thats just my assumption, As i read it the walls where not damaged just messed as a result of damaged sustained to the person, I have done afew rounds with walls myself and I believe the wall wins every time :D
Working towards a career in Health and Safety.

Feel free to contact me by email or MSN
MSN/E-Mail: Jmpompey(at)hotmail.co.uk
acko 338
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: From July 1st - Director / Owner of Black & White (UK) Ltd as well as Glyn Atkinson Safety Services - self employed Health and Safety Consultant / Advisor / Technical Author.
Location: GRIMSBY TOWN - I NOW KNOW HOW TO DEFINE OPTIMISM !!

Post by acko 338 »

Without getting too deep into the individual, is there any form of supervision for this person's odd behaviour in place at the place of residence that would help to stop the actual physical harm taking place?

The person may have some form of behavioural stimulus - eg Asberger's Syndrome, that can trigger a reaction in a defined and small area only, possibly associated with a previous experience in a bathroom/?

My first assumption is that this person is not living in own home circumstances with the odd behaviour pattern?

Again, why only the tiled walls in bathrooms, what is the fascination, and therefore the thought process to butt the walls?

Are any other rooms affected?

Could different materials in use for walls stop the behavioural pattern in the bathroom?
http://atkinsonsafetyservices.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also sole director of Black & White (UK) Ltd - looking for more training and consultancy work.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy