Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Leevis1
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

PAT Testing

Post by Leevis1 »

Hi
I wonder if someone can help me with a question on what should be included in PAT testing and what is not included.
At my workplace we have a server room/gateway area which is full of kit (almost all of it is rack mounted). The question i have is 'should this be included as part of PAT testing?'
My belief is due to the fact that this is not portable it shouldnt really be included. However, if it is not covered under PAT then where should it live?
My plan is to create a process whereby any new installation is PAT tested and labelled/recorded and any maintenance/replacement will also be PAT tested. Would this be sufficient?

I am just interested on what everyone thinks should be included with PAT testing and servers have cables (kettle leads).

Lee
Ian Rienewerf
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: PAT Testing

Post by Ian Rienewerf »

The normal rule of thumb is that anything with a 13A plug should be PAT tested.
But your rack mounted server isn't portable, therefore the cables are not going to suffer wear and tear.

Also consider the risk of overloading sensitive electronics with HV insulation testing.
Your competent PAT testing person should be able to advise what you need, according to his/her training.
http://www.irems.co.uk
Risk management for companies with 5 to 50 employees
Ashanti
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Ashanti »

We have everything that is easily moveable tested annually and everything else every 3 - 5 years depending on the equipment. Before I set up a corporate contract individual branches dealt with it and often had everything tested annually because the PAT testers they used said it was required by "law".
Chazzman
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chazzman »

What a load of nonesense!

PAT TESTING

Appliances with Plugs

All electrical appliances on site need testing on a regular basis to ensure they are safe to use. All appliances should be visually checked each and every time they are used, this includes extension leads.

In relation to portable electrical equipment particular attention should be directed to the following:

• The equipment is suitable and sufficient for the task
• Insulation protection is adequate
• Earth protection devices are in place
• The users are competent
• The means of protection from excess current is adequate

No personal electrical equipment should be used until the appliance has been tested

The table below shows suggested inspection intervals for low risk environments e.g. offices

Equipment User Checks Formal Visual Inspection Combined Visual Inspection and Testing
Desktop computers No Yes 2 – 4 years No if double insulated otherwise up to 5 years

Photocopiers, fax machines (machines rarely moved) No Yes 2 – 4 years No if double insulated otherwise up to 5 years

Fans, lamps , projectors (double insulated moved occasionally) No Yes 2 – 4 years No

Double insulated items, power tools, vacuums Yes Yes 6 months – 1 year No
Earthed items(class 1) kettles, floor cleaners Yes Yes 6 months – 1 year Yes 1 – 2 years
Cables, extension leads and plugs connected to the above Yes Yes 6 months – 4 years depending on the type of equipment it is connected to Yes 1 – 5 years depending on the type of equipment it is connected to

Sorry about the formatting (it should be a table!).

I hope you get some idea.

For the sake of PAT testing a £5 kettle, I do dispair of this.

It is cheaper just to replace the thing!

I can send you the table if you like just PM me.

Chazz :D
Leevis1
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Leevis1 »

Thanks for that, i really appreciate it. I have some other items that i need to work out frequency of testing and whether they need testing at all. These are:
Mobile Phone Charger
Television (I suspect this one is going to be the same as PC/Monitor)
DVD/Video Player
Digital TV Decoder
Router
Calculator
Video Conference Equipment
Franking Machine
Switchboard
Servers (Rack Mounted)
2 Way Radio System
Tool/Torch Chargers

Once i can work out the frequency for these I can then set a standard for everything and get a process going.

One thing i am a little concerned about at that is on Lamps/Heaters etc. It seems that only a visual inspection is required on these items, should they not be tested?

Thanks

Lee
Leevis1
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Leevis1 »

I think i might have answered my own question here. Here are my thoughts on these

Television - Visual 2 to 4 years - Combined Test/Inspect None if Double insulated, otherwise 5 years
DVD/Video Player as above
Digital Television Decoder - Just test the lead ie 6 Months/1 Year - Test/Inspect 1 to 2 years
Router as above
Calculator as above
Video Conf Equipment as above
Franking Machine - Visual 2 to 4 years - Combined Test/Inspect None if Double insulated, otherwise 5 years
Switchboard - Visual 2 to 4 years - Combined Test/Inspect None if Double insulated, otherwise 5 years
Servers (Rack Mounted) - Not sure of this one still as they never move but need to be tested i would guess
2 Way Radio System - Just test the lead ie 6 Months/1 Year - Test/Inspect 1 to 2 years
Chargers - Combined Test/Inspect None if Double insulated, otherwise 5 years

Any thoughts on whether this sounds ok?

Lee
Ian Rienewerf
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Ian Rienewerf »

All good stuff Chazz,
But if it hasn't got a plug - it isn't portable.
Any equipment which is hardwired-in would come under the periodic testing of fixtures and fittings.
http://www.irems.co.uk
Risk management for companies with 5 to 50 employees
Chazzman
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chazzman »

Sorry Ian,

I should of made the third line of my spiel a bit clearer...... :lol:

Chazz
Ashanti
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Ashanti »

Don't quite understand why you can just say nonsense Chazzman. Our system of 1 and 3 years is probably OTT but as you say the periods are recommendations and I prefer to play it safe with electricity after a few near misses, i.e. following a risk assessment. As for the £5 kettle, we usually pay more than that for them and as we pay well under £1 per test for each item of equipment it is still cheaper to test them than replace them. Recommendations are great as long as they are not just blindly followed without considering individual circumstances.
Chazzman
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chazzman »

Hi Ashanti :D

Good point!

That is really the crux with PAT testing and the area's youn need to foucs on are determined by the Risk Assessments and near miss data.

Yes you will get it for under a pound if you have lots of items, but if you are a SME without much kit then the costs can be much higher.

I only use the kettle adage due to the areas of the country I have previously worked in. Due to the amount of limescale and use they were lucky to last two years (Norfolk,Lincolnshire).

I think really the crucial point is when you have determined a suitable regime, that you maintain it and not do as some clients have done is to decide that the cost is prohibitive or they don't keep the scheduled intervals.

Like you have said they are recommendations and the working environment and the process and the frequency and duration of use will alter the interval of PAT testing.

I don't think what you are doing is OTT, if you have bought the PAT testing in at a good price, then from a liability and preventative maintainance point of view, it makes sense.

It is the recording of the information, I always find the problem (little stickers have a problem of dissapearing and the computer with the records always breaks down, yeah right!).

It is the keeping on top of those items brought into the site by staff (such as radios) that are a problem as they are not always put on the register.

Chazz :D
Ashanti
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Ashanti »

Thanks Chazz

The single item I have the most problems with is mobile phone chargers. Nearly every place I go there is at least one left plugged in for "when it's needed". I am close to asking for a ban on them unless I can persuade people that they continue to use electricity even when not connected to a mobile and are significant fire hazards.
Chazzman
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chazzman »

Hi :D :D

You are talking to the converted brother!

I am fed up of those things, do people not realise that because their phone is not attached that it is still drawing current?

I don't know if you saw the pitch on dragons den awhile ago for a device which puts everything connected to that socket in a safe power down mode, particaularly TV's which are left on standby all night.

It was shocking to see how much energy they use.

I also have this same argument when one of my clients has ECDL delivered in a class of an evening, as they do not check that the equipment is turned off or the sockets are switched off.

Especially when this room does not have any fire/smoke detection in it.

I have shown them the pictures and have writen a close down procedure and displayed notices but still it happens.

Makes my blood boil :roll:

Chazz :wave:

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy