Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Spike9208
Student
Student

not really sure what this means?

Post by Spike9208 »

Hi

I have recently just started doing the project for the IOSH enviro course and have most of the project done but im stumped as what this section is asking for before i add anything thought i would check to see if anyone knew what is being asked as it does say marks will be deducted for wrong inputs :shock:

this is the section from the project, the reference to the ISO 14001 is similar to the policy one in NEBOSH anyway any feedback would be of great help !!

Sheet 3 - Service Aspects
Note: the definition of Aspects and Impacts discussed herein is consistent with the definition detailed in ISO 14001.
4 Project Assignment CW4
Record in the first column of the table on Sheet 3 a brief description of three processes related to services, such as water, electricity and gas use processes (process might include for example, office heating or photographic processing rinse water). For each of these three processes, complete the rest of the columns in the table as follows:
Description of Aspect. Record details of an Aspect arising from the process described in the first column. Remember the definition of an Aspect - do not detail environmental
Impacts as marks will be deducted.
Existing workplace controls. Record details of any systems (such as procedures,inspections, measuring equipment, etc) currently in place to control or monitor the Aspect.

I have been through the book with a fine toothcomb and still dont know whats required

Thanks for any help!!
HelenPJ
Risk Rodent
Risk Rodent

Re: not really sure what this means?

Post by HelenPJ »

Hi Spike9208,

I can't answer in detail but I think you might find this very helpful:
http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac ... =RESOURCES" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Identify environmental aspects and legislation

Identifying environmental aspects and impacts is a key part of setting up an environmental management system (EMS). Environmental aspects are any element of your business' activities that can interact with the environment. Environmental impacts are the effect that the aspect has on the environment.
but please read the rest on the link as I think it will help clarify the aspects/impacts terminology a bit more for you and suggest how this can assist in drawing up an EMS ./thumbsup..
Helen
Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity
Aristotle
Spike9208
Student
Student

Post by Spike9208 »

Thanks for the reply and info
I understand the basics of what need to be provided on the sheets for my project such as
emission to air one i have used is
process - company car
aspect - non - renewable energy used, VOC emissions
controls in place - diesel car, defensive driving tech, use video conference, public transport

I know this would reduce pollution

But in this question i posted

brief description of three processes related to services, such as water, electricity and gas use processes (process might include for example, office heating or photographic processing rinse water). For each of these three processes, complete the rest of the columns in the table as follows:
Description of Aspect. Record details of an Aspect arising from the process described in the first column. Remember the definition of an Aspect - do not detail environmental
Impacts as marks will be deducted.

Existing workplace controls. Record details of any systems (such as procedures,inspections, measuring equipment, etc) currently in place to control or monitor the Aspect.

So im not sure what im being asked to change, if for example i changed the lighting to energy efficent bulbs, substitute carboard boxes for returnable crates these would all have an impact on reducing pollution and the use of non - resuable energy

But if i mention this in the sheet marks will be deducted (see in bold above)

Thanks for any other help and advice as i well need it

Cheers Derek
Tyban
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: higher Education

Post by Tyban »

Hi Derek,

My understanding after reading your post is that they are after the ASPECT relating to the PROCESS for eg Office Heating (PROCESS) will result in Electricity use, gas oil use and waste heat (ASPECT) which will add to amount of CO2 produced through generation of energy. Energy efficiency issues. Amount of CO2 will be greater due to gas oil content. Depletion of gas and oil resources (ALL ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACTS). Control measures could be zone controlled heating, thermostatic radiator valves so on and so on etc.
Energy efficient lightbulbs would be a control measure for reducing electricity use.

Hope this short summary helps.
Ty
Whitehall
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Whitehall »

sounds like a typical iosh course to me.....they get very focussed on distinguishing between Hazard and Risk for Safety, so I can only assume by the wording that they want you to show clearly you know the difference between Aspect and Impact......if they ask for one, then stick with what they have asked for and don't bring in the other until they ask you to bring it together toward the end of the document.

Hope this Helps
jonsi
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Polymer Processing

Post by jonsi »

Put simply the ASPECT is the process that creates the Environmental IMPACT, so, in terms of Aspects for Electricity you could answer

The Office uses fluorescent lights which have been in place since 1997. There are three 100w tubes in the lampholder above each of 6 desks in the office. They are of a design which uses a starter for ignition. When they are all on they use 1800w (1.8kWh). The cleaner switches them all on in the morning at 06:00. The Office staff arrive at 08:30. The staff leave at 17:00 and the night Security Officer switches the lights off at 22:00.

That's the Aspect ...now detail some controls for that aspect. How do you measure it (In this example I'd say simple calculation of time used x energy x cost in CO2/kWh)

I don't think you're being asked to design controls that mitigate the Impact, just identifying an Environmental Aspect in your company car example I think you might be straying into Impact territory.
"Talk about Mental Illness - because it will touch your life this year. "

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy