NEBOSH Environmental Diploma Practical Assessment

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Mikeswain

NEBOSH Environmental Diploma Practical Assessment

Post by Mikeswain »

Hi all,

I'm currently studying the NEBOSH environmental diploma distance learning and I'm looking for some advice on the practical assessment.
I've read the NEBOSH guidance but what I'm struggling with is what is expected in terms of research.

Now I have done a review of my organisation's environmental management system specifically in relation to the 8 topics required by NEBOSH which has consisted of documentation reviews, generating environmental reports on energy use, emissions and waste and holding audit meetings via teams.

What's confusing me is the mention of surveys, questionnaires and literary reviews - Do I need to include these or is the internal information I have sufficient to meet the mark, and if not does anyone have any suggestions of what to include here?

Sorry it's a bit long winded but I'm caught between wondering if I'm writing a report specifically for my organisation or a research paper.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
EagleBeagle
Student
Student

Re: NEBOSH Environmental Diploma Practical Assessment

Post by EagleBeagle »

The EnvDip assignment is very similar to Unit DNI on the Health & Safety Diploma.

My understanding is that your research within the organisation is sufficient. From my recent enrollment on the EnvDip I was told its important to capture the legal and regulatory piece in the assignment by referencing literature and caselaw as it's the only place in the EnvDip qualification where it's examined.

The report is specifically a management report about your organisation in each of the defined areas (which are closely tied to ISO 14001:2015) rather than an academic or research report. The defined areas for review and critical analysis:

- Environmental leadership
- Environmental objectives and targets
- Identification of significant organisational aspects and associated impacts
- Compliance obligations
- Resource, competence and employee awareness
- Communication
- The effectiveness of processes and controls (including emergency arrangements)
- Environmental performance evaluation

The Guidance states: "For each area the current arrangements should be identified, evidenced and critically analysed against best practice and/or any other relevant standards to identify gaps in the current arrangements." The updated guidance is here: https://www.nebosh.org.uk/documents/nde ... ent-v3.pdf.

From the experience of the Unit DNI, the critical analysis piece is extremely important for picking up marks.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy