Where to start ?

Have you recently had a safety moment? Share it in here and help raise awareness, start a conversation, encourage people to talk about HSE, spread the word! It might just save a life!

Moderator: Moderators

stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Where to start ?

Post by stephen1974 »

Pretty hacked off with my company right now.
They decided to move venue and didn't bother to tell me about it or ask any advice on the new build.
When they did tell me about it it was to produce H&S documents at the very last minute.
Walked in to the build and all the extension leads made the place look like a giant bowl of spaghetti, and pulled so tight they were not on the floor but several inches above it.
People working at height on the lighting, dropping this that and everything else on the floor whilst people are walking around without warning, without hard hats.
They boarded up a fire exit as it was in the way. They boarded over a call point for the same reason.
The dumped building material outside the only other fire exit, wasit high and a meter deep, completly blocking it off, not that the escape route to said door was in anyway imaginable clear.
Opened the building to the public whilst the build was still going on, so working on ladders and lighting with toddlers running around beneath them.
The build quality was poor and imo unsafe to use.
After the opening day, several face book reviews commented on the unsafe build and unfinshed building work, so the company responds by getting 'people they know' to post fake positive reviews.

Embarrassed and ashamed doesnt quite cover it.
Last edited by wendolene26 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed language that wasn't ICRA status friendly
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: Where to start ?

Post by bernicarey »

Quite frankly (and I'm the sort of person who, to quote a workplace appraisal many decades ago 'Does Not Tolerate Fools Gladly') I would tip of the relevant enforcer, either HSE or Local Authority, by giving them the links to the facebook page where they can see the concerns of the public. Even the Fire Service regarding the Fire Exits.

There's no comeback on you since anyone could have seen the facebook page and who knows, one of those concerned members of the public has reported them in addition to posting it on facebook.
Has the facebook page got any photos from the public?

I'm all in favour of reporting people to authorities when they behave dangerously to the public, especially when they know better. I dobbed in a major supermarket when they refused to listen to my concerns as a customer, even having given them due warning that I would do so.
I blogged it here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/you-safe ... ard-carey/
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy