Dubai Airport

Have you recently had a safety moment? Share it in here and help raise awareness, start a conversation, encourage people to talk about HSE, spread the word! It might just save a life!

Moderator: Moderators

WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Dubai Airport

Post by WillPool »

I hope no-one has a flight planned today as all take off and landings have been suspended due to an emergency landing of an Emirates Boeing 777-300 at Dubai International:

http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/emergencie ... -1.1872893" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like no injuries, thank goodness :shock:

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Dubai Airport

Post by Messy »

Of course there is no way for me to know how many parallels there were between this fire today where it appears everyone got off safely and the fire at Manchester Airport in 1985 where 55 died

The photos look remarkably similar http://home.bt.com/news/world-news/augu ... 3999093035" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps testimony to the huge improvements in aircraft design and response ?

Good news all round! clapclap
grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Post by grim72 »

Judging by the footage onboard it's even more remarkable that no passenger lost their life when you see how many considered getting their luggage out of the overhead lockers a higher priority than getting off the plane! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_aud ... s/36971855" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I believe a firefighter unfortunately lost his life during the incident, hopefully not due to these idiots' actions.

As for the cause, too early to say but looks like it was centred around the landing gear/wheel? I do wonder if the heat may play a part, I know I saw another post recently about the number of tyre blow outs caused by the heat during landing.
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
AWins
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Construction

Post by AWins »

Can't believe people are so obsessed with their belongings as to put other peoples life in danger by delaying evacuation.

Just get off! .scratch
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Same thing seen in the BA jet fire at Las Vegas last year. People evacuating with their carry-on!
BA-Vegas.jpg
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by grim72 »

I must admit when I saw the video I did wonder if the airline/firefighters would have any room for prosecuting those passengers that put others at risk - we've all heard the safety presentations when getting on an aircraft and we're all told not to take hand luggage with you during an evcuation so not sure what defence the guilty parties would have. I'm not even sure that blind panic could be used as an excuse as surely if you're in that state of mind you would just want off and out.

People never cease to amaze me with how selfish, materialistic and uncaring for others they can be.
Grim72

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

grim72 wrote:I must admit when I saw the video I did wonder if the airline/firefighters would have any room for prosecuting those passengers that put others at risk - we've all heard the safety presentations when getting on an aircraft and we're all told not to take hand luggage with you during an evcuation so not sure what defence the guilty parties would have. I'm not even sure that blind panic could be used as an excuse as surely if you're in that state of mind you would just want off and out.

People never cease to amaze me with how selfish, materialistic and uncaring for others they can be.

Grim

Yes very selfish people but I dont think they will prosecute. Too hard to prove and although it is part of the safety brief how can you prove it is understood. I looked at the nationalities on that flight, UAE, Saudi, Indian, British, Dutch and on it went there were over 20 nationalities. Do they all speak English or Arabic (as Emiratres generally use)? I doubt it.

In addition, as a frequent flyer on flights in this area a lot of these people just do not abide by the rules but are constantly let away with it. For example:

Using mobile during take off, removing seat belt before signs say so, swapping seats during take off, the list goes on.

Another take on this is a lot of these could be migrant workers and their whole life (they are travelling with) is in that bag. They need it to survive on landing. Whilst Emirates will show compassion and compensate those that make a claim, some of these migrant workers on landing and getting through immigration will not be able to make a claim due to working conditions. Some of these employers wont care and just want them back to work.(Indians returning to UAE, biggest number of nationals on the plane, hence that statement). They might also have believed that by taking their stuff it was easier than sorting out a claim afterwards.

No, none of it is or was right and I am only second guessing why they did it but as I say there are a lot if selfish, ignorant people travelling on flights these days ;)

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by grim72 »

There is an interesting read on the BBC website about this very concern: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36977903" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and comments on the 90 second rule which is a scary statistic. What is without doubt is that the flight attendants did an amazing job and should be applauded for getting everyone off so quickly.
Grim72

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy