Do you have do an ISO or BSI?

Discuss management systems in here, including - HS(G)65; ISO 45001; ISO 45003; ISO 14001

Moderator: Moderators

95HSE92
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Technology

Do you have do an ISO or BSI?

Post by 95HSE92 »

Simple question, do you have to subscribe to an ISO Standard or BSI (for example 5*) certification?
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Re: Do you have do an ISO or BSI?

Post by Blackstone »

95HSE92 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:34 pm Simple question, do you have to subscribe to an ISO Standard or BSI (for example 5*) certification?
Hi,

Would love to help but I don't understand the question?

You can purchase an ISO standard from BSI if you are a member or not, it just costs less if you are a member.
You can be a member of BSI, and/or you can be certified to certain standards through BSI (the 2 are not linked) but I don't recall you having to 'subscribe' to anything?

Not sure if that answers the question? .scratch

Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Have to agree with Blackstone.
While the mantra of HSfB is "There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!", the more background you can give to your question, the more likely it is you'll get an answer.
95HSE92 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:34 pm Simple question, do you have to subscribe to an ISO Standard or BSI (for example 5*) certification?
Are you speaking of 'subscribing' to an organisation in order to get access to it's documents/standards, or are you referring to gaining some sort of recognition that you are attaining a particular standard? .scratch
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

quality_somerset
Industry Sector: Precision Engineering

Post by quality_somerset »

9001/18001/14001 come in two different types.

The first type are accredited by UKAS and are suitable for the more higher risk operations (oil/gas/nuclear/aviation etc). The company that audits your organisation will have been checked by UKAS and this is quite an in depth process.

However some 9001/18001/14001 certificates do not have UKAS accreditation. They follow the chosen ISO but this is not backed up by UKAS; it will therefore not be suitable for high risk activities.

UKAS accreditation adds to the price so you will need to see whether it has any cost benefit to your organisation.

QS
Elf&Safety
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Micro-Electronics Manufacture

Post by Elf&Safety »

Just a bit of an FYI

WHAT IS ISO

ISO originated from the union of two organisations – the ISO (International Federation of the National Standardizing Associations) and the UNSCC (United Nations Standard Coordinating Committee).
In 1946 over 25 countries met at the Institute of Civil Engineers in London to create a new international organisation, where the objective was to ‘facilitate the international coordination and unification of industrial standards’ From this the new organisation ISO began operations in February 1947. The word ISO is derived from the Greek ISOS meaning ‘equal’.
As the International Organization for Standardization would translate differently across different languages it was decided that the short form name for the organisation would be ISO.

ISO standard; developed by International Organization for Standardization - as says on the tin these are international standards and have been agreed by a global community of professionals.

BS Standard - British Standards that have only been agreed to be a standard by the British.

BSI are the British Standards Institution who are a business standards company & also by royal charter the UK National Standards Body.

So to answer your question which i assume is around ISO 14001 & ISO 18001.... no you don't have to subscribe to either; and if you do that standard doesn't have to be certified by BSI - you can use other companies. However, you may wish to develop an environmental system around 14001 so that you know you're system covers the parts it is intended to.

I for example may use the BS OHSAS 18001 standard (notice it's not agreed internationally so it's not an ISO) and treat it as a framework for my management system, but may never get my system accreditted to the standard so i could never display the badge.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy