Basement smoke vents / extraction

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Paul1979
Industry Sector: Property Management including H&S
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Basement smoke vents / extraction

Post by Paul1979 »

Hi

We have a basement (approx. 80sqm) which is currently unused however is being converted for use of a kitchen and function room in our office building.

The building is quite old (1800's) and has no sprinkler system.

There is currently no smoke vents in the basement - other buildings nearby have the glazed pavement smoke vents which can be smashed, but we dont have these (reason unknown).

Looking at ADB Vol 2. am I right in thinking that it must have a natural smoke extraction system if no sprinkler fitted? Or would it be accepted that a mechanical extraction system be fitted if it is not possible to install natural smoke vents?

Any guidance much appreciated!
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: Basement smoke vents / extraction

Post by stephen1974 »

I know you are only looking from a fire perspective right now but if you are putting a kitchen in you also need to look at ventiliation else you will end up with a very hot kitchen and probably the formation of condensation, which in turn can be a fire hazard.
Paul1979
Industry Sector: Property Management including H&S
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Post by Paul1979 »

Yes, we have a ventilation system being installed too - exactly right, because of the risk of condensation mainly.

But we didn't know if we also needed to install a smoke vent system of some fashion?
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Standard response warning.

What does the FRA say?

Seriously though. I have to admit that I'm not overly familiar with the BS or any building regs on this, but I'd assume that they are full of 'where necessary' caveats, so honestly, I would be tempted to default to that.

Or are you doing the FRA yourselves?
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Is this info required for a FRA or because there is significant building works planned?

I ask as ADB is really all about new builds or significant alterations. It is a useful guide when conducting a FRA but its provision is not necessarily designed - or required to be applied retrospectively unless a significant change to the building is planned

Then there is the historic building element to this. Sometimes it's not possible to apply the published guidance in ADB in an old building. Inward opening final exit doors, or a church with a capacity of 200 with one narrow 14c door are example of this issue with ADB.
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

8VUyau7

Post by 8VUyau7 »

Approved Document B suggests that where a basement is over 3m deep and a floor area over 200m2, then smoke ventilation should be provided. Depending upon depth, it doesn't appear that natural ventilation is required.

As suggested by Messy, ADB is for new builds and significant alternations, but if you comply with ADB, then your probably okay.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy