Fire detection in Retail unit with flat above

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Random_eyeline

Fire detection in Retail unit with flat above

Post by Random_eyeline »

I have a purpose-built retail unit with a two-storey maisonette above. It was built in the middle of the 20th Century of brick with a concrete slab between. The residential units have individual exits onto an open area with open communal staircases leading to safety.

The retail shop is a single room with a small Kitchen and Toilet in the rear corner, and a fire exit at the rear via a small courtyard.

My question is this; should a BS 5839 system be installed? Normally I would say no as there is sufficient separation between the two. However, the shop is fitted with steel roller shutters front and back which would allow a fire to potentially take hold and be undetected for some time. would this constitute a risk that required a BS 5839 system?

I hope I have explained sufficiently.

I am swinging backwards and forward on this one and others experience, and advice would be welcome, thanks in advance clapclap
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Fire detection in Retail unit with flat above

Post by Alexis »

Thank you in advance to anyone who can offer advice for Random_eyeline.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Paul1979
Industry Sector: Property Management including H&S
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Re: Fire detection in Retail unit with flat above

Post by Paul1979 »

Hi Random, firstly I would stress that I am no fire safety expert like some of the people on here, so I can only share my experiences with similar properties that I and my colleagues manage.

We have a number of small retail units with residential accommodation above - quite a number include shutters such as that you describe for security reasons especially in parts of the country we cover.

During times when I have been party to consultations with planning officers and fire authorities when they are new buildings or existing builds being converted, we have always been told that, as long as there is a guaranteed 60-min separation between the commercial unit and residential accommodation, there is no need for a fire alarm in the retail unit, subject to the good old 'subject to fire risk assessment' wording being thrown in :)

I am not sure if this helps at all.
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy