Fire hose testing

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Merlot
Student
Student

Fire hose testing

Post by Merlot »

Hi everyone,

Wonder if I can pick your brains regarding the periodic testing of layflat fire hoses?

We have a number of fire points dotted around the site each contains 5 rolls of fire hose for use by our guys should a fire occur. This provision has been in place for a number of years however, this year we are using a new training provider for our hose handler training and he has informed me that hoses over 1 year old should be inspected and tested every 5 years.

He couldn't quote Regs or British standards but has promised to email me the details over the next few days.

So, whilst I hit google for info and whilst I wait for him can anyone confirm if this is the case for me???

Thanks in advance,

Merlot.
quality_somerset
Industry Sector: Precision Engineering

Re: Fire hose testing

Post by quality_somerset »

Hi Merlot

From: https://www.firehosereelsdirect.co.uk/f ... 0equipment.

"Fire hose reels require regular visual examination by a competent person. Also an annual flow rate test and a pressure test are required. The fire hose must be pressure tested every five years. The test details should be recorded on a service label attached to the reel.

In the UK fire hose reel testing procedures are governed by BS-EN-671/3."

Regards QS
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

quality_somerset wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:44 pm Hi Merlot

From: https://www.firehosereelsdirect.co.uk/f ... 0equipment.

"Fire hose reels require regular visual examination by a competent person. Also an annual flow rate test and a pressure test are required. The fire hose must be pressure tested every five years. The test details should be recorded on a service label attached to the reel.

In the UK fire hose reel testing procedures are governed by BS-EN-671/3."

Regards QS
I believe the OP is requesting info on the testing of 'layflat' hose or what the fire service call delivery hose.

I cannot recall any manufacturer or 5 year tests or hose flow tests . When I was in the fire service we would test the hose by laying it out with a branch connected and increase the pressure to 10bar

Then an inpection for leaks and that was it

There was a JCDD standard for the test, but I don't know if JCDD even exists

Why not contact your local fire and rescue service in writing ? They would know the current standard
Merlot
Student
Student

Post by Merlot »

Thanks for that everyone,

yes, its the layflat type we have in the bunkers along with the branches. Supply is from the towns mains with a maximum pressure of 6bar recorded so a test to 10bar would make sense.

We have a good relationship with our fire extinguisher service engineer so will be picking his brains for local suppliers as well as contacting the local FRS.

Thanks,
Merlot.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment

Post by Messy »

Latest news:

The London Fire Brigade test their lay flat hose as follows:

On acceptance (i.e. upon delivery), after use and yearly.

Visual check for defects,
followed by pressure test up to 15 bar for 1 minute,
then reduced to 7 bar to visually check for leaks.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Messy »

OK, latest info - Standards

British Standard 6391:2019 Specification for non percolating layflat delivery hose assemblies for firefighting

JCDD 1/1 (Fire service standard)
Merlot
Student
Student

Post by Merlot »

Thanks everyone for their input, its much appreciated.

So, after much research guided by Messy and QS we have formulated something that sits pretty close to the BS.
  • All our existing lay flat fire hoses are going to be pressure tested to their max rated value and logged / tagged.
  • New hoses will have their certification recorded and the hose tagged.
  • Annual, in house pressure and leak test / inspection at the current main pressure (7 bar max). Training on what to look for etc provided by the outfit doing the full pressure test.
  • 6 monthly check of the bunkers themselves to check contents in good condition.
All documented and photos etc retained for future reference.

Thought I would post just to close off the thread and hopefully help anyone else in the same position in the future.

Merlot. .salut

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy