Warehouse fire safety

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Paul1979
Industry Sector: Property Management including H&S
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Warehouse fire safety

Post by Paul1979 »

I am just looking for some clarification / explanation from someone on something noted in the HM Guide for Fire Safety In Factories and Warehouses please! :D

"a minimum clear space of 0.5m, between stored goods and the internal walls to provide access (e.g. for the fire and rescue service)"

Does this mean that internal storage i.e. racking, should not be found next to the internal side of external walls? Or does it just refer to any walls internally of the warehouse / factory?

What does the 500mm distance mean in terms of access for fire and rescue service too please?
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Warehouse fire safety

Post by Messy »

I havent seen that, and frankly it's nonsense!

It makes sense to maintain access where there is maintenance requirements, but access for firefighters is not necessary a requirement unless they need to get to a DRM or similar

The FRA is required to determine control measures to protect 'relevant persons'

Paraphrasing a bit, the definition of relevant persons is anyone in or near the premises but not operational firefighters.

So I question whether why this 500mm gap is necessary
Paul1979
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Post by Paul1979 »

In my limited FRA knowledge, I was always told (even by ex-FRS) that the FRA didn't need to consider FRS trying to fight the fire / rescue...?

Again, I am no fire-fighter (I am scared of heights and too fat to squeeze into tight gaps...) so my only thinking about the 500mm was maybe to allow firefighters to squeeze in between walls and stacked storage to access the seat of the fire??

The FRA we do have for the Warehouse states that the doors to the Warehouse are wide enough (800mm) for firefighting access and our client has also put hatched markings down on the floor next to the exit door (2m x 2m) to make sure storage is not placed in positions which may block the exits too.

But, they do put storage up against the inside of the external walls (corrugated metal sheets) so there is no 500mm gap.
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment

Post by Messy »

Paul
Where in the FS Guidance does it mention the 500mm gap. I have had a flick through and can't find it. If I could see it in the guide, it might provide more context ????
Paul1979

Post by Paul1979 »

Messy wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:39 pm Paul
Where in the FS Guidance does it mention the 500mm gap. I have had a flick through and can't find it. If I could see it in the guide, it might provide more context ????
Hi Messy :wave:

Its noted on page 44 of the current HM Gov guidance for fire safety in Factories and Warehouses.

Stacked goods and high stacked storage

a minimum clear space of 0.5m, between stored goods and the internal walls to provide access (e.g. for the fire and rescue service); .salut
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Messy »

Yes- got it now thanks ./thumbsup..

It is the softest of advice within a guidance document as it suggested you should consider the 500mm access gap as a measure to reduce the risk of stacked goods. I am still not convinced it provides any value in most warehouses I have looked at.

Fire service breathing apparatus crews do like sticking to walls when searching in smoke as the reassurance is like a comfort blanket as opposed to having to go deeper into the warehouse. But as its not a requirement to leave the gap, and there is no duty to consider operational fire service crews in an FRA, what business will realistically give up many square metres of storage space unless they need to??? .scratch
consider.jpeg

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy