Fire Alarm and calling 999

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Fire Alarm and calling 999

Post by witsd »

Paul1979 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:16 pmSo...if fire alarm is triggered on one of the unoccupied floors, and there is no sign of smoke/fire, would it typically be expected (if they are on site) for the receptionist / security to go and investigate??
It depends.

Personally, I've always operated an 'if it is safe to do so' approach.

If the person has the time (i.e. they aren't more urgently needed elsewhere), support and reasonable expectation of safety, then sure, why not? The FRS will be provided with more information when they arrive (or may not need to attend at all), and if it is a false alarm, everyone can get back to work that much faster.

If however the receptionist is the only person in the building, or has no means of communication, or has any reason to believe that they would not be safe (there's smoke, they aren't familiar with the area, that floor is where you store the fireworks, whatever) then no way, no how. they get out, call 999 and explain the situation to the FRS.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy