Catching Up With Residential Fire Safety

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Catching Up With Residential Fire Safety

Post by Messy »

I work almost exclusively in commercial fire safety in a range of complex premises in a unique environment. Its been 11 years since I last had any significant dealings with residential fire safety (i.e. flats) - way before Grenfell and the cataclysmic changes that have occurred (and are ongoing) in the world of fire safety since then.

My employer are keen that I maintain my CPD and after a self assessment, I believe residential fire safety is now my weakest area. Although I doubt I will ever enter the difficult residential FS area again before retirement, but I need to be prepared for any competence register or requirements that are in the pipeline. There is no way anyone can be considered as an all round competent fire safety professional without a good knowledge of residential FS

I have decades of experience in fire safety and 11 years ago worked on a huge contract to supply hundreds of FRAs for an inner London borough's housing stock. So I need to concentrate on catching up with the changes over the last decade, rather than learning it from scratch.

So for you out there where residential fire safety is your bread & butter, where should I start? A bullet point to help me focus would be very useful. Thanks
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Catching Up With Residential Fire Safety

Post by witsd »

Honestly, if it's not an immediate need, I'd wait until the industry / politicians have made up their minds as to what they want to do post-Grenfell.

So far, aside from some fairly basic guidance tweaks, nothing really seems to have been decided for sure (and I don't believe for a moment that the guidance will stay as it is for long), which means that everything you'll be learning will be subject to change at any point.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
hammer1
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Commercial, residential, construction

Post by hammer1 »

Messy wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:48 am I work almost exclusively in commercial fire safety in a range of complex premises in a unique environment. Its been 11 years since I last had any significant dealings with residential fire safety (i.e. flats) - way before Grenfell and the cataclysmic changes that have occurred (and are ongoing) in the world of fire safety since then.

My employer are keen that I maintain my CPD and after a self assessment, I believe residential fire safety is now my weakest area. Although I doubt I will ever enter the difficult residential FS area again before retirement, but I need to be prepared for any competence register or requirements that are in the pipeline. There is no way anyone can be considered as an all round competent fire safety professional without a good knowledge of residential FS

I have decades of experience in fire safety and 11 years ago worked on a huge contract to supply hundreds of FRAs for an inner London borough's housing stock. So I need to concentrate on catching up with the changes over the last decade, rather than learning it from scratch.

So for you out there where residential fire safety is your bread & butter, where should I start? A bullet point to help me focus would be very useful. Thanks
Hi mate, hope all is well with you, hopefully our paths will cross prior to your entering the world of 'gardening' :lol: for a beer, maybe at a future Firex or something. You will be a sad lose to the industry and this site .salut

Wow, where do I start......shakingagain

I think having a good understanding of the building safety bill will be a good place to start...

https://www.housing.org.uk/resources/br ... fety-bill/

Some more good info here;

https://www.housing.org.uk/our-work/bui ... ry-system/

The fire consultation will be a good starting point too, this is the government proposals for secondary legislation to follow the fire safety bill, heard nothing for a while on this? They also may need to change their stance on PEEPS, but it is a good guide on direction of travel...

https://www.housing.org.uk/globalassets ... t-2020.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... cument.pdf

The industry guidance provides you with the framework being developed

https://www.firesectorfederation.co.uk/ ... ssessment/

In regards to CPD, what are you looking for ? Courses or just CPD..... During the pandemic there have been loads of 'free' CPD events on various subjects, it just a case of doing some digging.
The song goes...{I'm gonna walk down to electric avenue and I'm gonna say ' have you got PAT testing records for all that mate'}
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Hi Hammer

Thats just the job mate. Thank you so much.
That will keep me out of mischief

I have used a great deal of the free presentations and podcasts. Some have been really useful. As far as what CPD I am looking for, I reckon I will know more when I have read through the links you have kindly shared.

It would be really good to catch up when Boris allows us to!

Thanks again 👍

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy