Sprinkler - high level storage (no racking)

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Paul1979
Industry Sector: Property Management including H&S
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Sprinkler - high level storage (no racking)

Post by Paul1979 »

Hi All,

We have a client who has a very big (over 20,000sqm) steel framed warehouse where they store reels of paper, each weighing approximately 2.5ton. The storage arrangements are such that they are stored vertically on top of one another, in some cases 5-6 high.

Now, the building did originally have a wet pipe sprinkler system for property protection. But, as the pipes were leaking, rather than fix them, they disconnected the system completely so there is now no sprinkler system active.

The F&RS have visited and said the sprinkler system should be reinstated as there's been no risk assessment / justification other than to save money fixing the leaks for the sprinkler to be removed.

One of the queries is that the storage arrangements mean that the top reel of paper stored is very near to the sprinkler heads, so the FRS advised that the sprinkler will be impaired. Option given was to remove the top reel of paper...of course, whilst this would allow the sprinkler to work better, means less storage space.

Does anyone know of a sprinkler system head that could be installed in such cases to avoid the top reel of paper having to be removed? If it needs to be done, the client will have to do it, but we are just looking at all options. Does anyone know what the clear distance needs to be between sprinkler heads and obstructions (or is that a silly question?)? .scratch

As always, any guidance much appreciated. .salut
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Re: Sprinkler - high level storage (no racking)

Post by Blackstone »

I'm certainly not a sprinkler expert but i know where i work, we ensure 1 meter clearance to the sprinkler heads.
This gives adequate coverage from the sprinklers for the system we have.
I would imagine the distance to sprinkler head would be dependent on design etc.
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Surely the answer is to either stack in a different pattern, so the heads are not immediately above the paper, or extend the sprinkler pipes to where the walkways are?
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Yeah, I don't think you are going to find any sprinkler head manufacturer who is going to say that you can have large items stored in close proximity and still guarantee adequate coverage.

The pipes or stacks are going to need moving.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Paul1979
Industry Sector: Property Management including H&S
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Post by Paul1979 »

witsd wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:58 pm Yeah, I don't think you are going to find any sprinkler head manufacturer who is going to say that you can have large items stored in close proximity and still guarantee adequate coverage.

The pipes or stacks are going to need moving.
Thank you - that makes it clear what needs to be done. I just wanted to explore all possibilities before breaking the news to the client that he's got to lose some storage space! :)
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Two more thoughts though:

1) Is there an option to move the pipework upwards, or is it already as high as it can go?

2) If the sprinklers are decommissioned at the moment (legitimately or otherwise) the FRA should probably be considering whether they need to be recommissioned.

Is there a significantly increased risk to life without them, or is it just a risk to insurance premiums?!
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Sprinklers are a world I do not really understand, despite attending an excellent 3 day course at fire service college. It was the longest 3 x days of my life and I was exhausted - all I could hear by the 3rd day was "頁 設 是 煵 엌 嫠 쯦 案 - 煪 ㍱ - 從 - 浳 浤 " :shock:

I would like to ask what form of communication did the fire service enter into. Most sprinkler systems - especially in warehousing and storage- is about business and asset protection and not life safety. So I doubt this would be an enforcement issue.

I am not disputing their advice as it sounds reasonable, but if there is no enforcement action, there is time to make enquiries and not be rushed into any decisions. Removing the high storage and informing the firms insurance company should be considered ASAP, and maybe asking the sprinkler maintenance company for advice (mindful they will be mining £££££££s so treat their advice cautiously)

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy