Advice on internal office walls lined with chipboard

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

joshualightowler

Advice on internal office walls lined with chipboard

Post by joshualightowler »

Hi.

I need some advice regarding a fire risk assessment. The unit is an equipment storage unit, with an upstairs office on a mezzanine floor. The office has 1 entrance, which is not a fire door. The stairs lead directly out to the exit. All the office is fireproofed externally apart from the door. The problem is that the internal walls of the office are all lined with chip board. Is this acceptable? Alos does the door need to be fire proofed. There is automatic fire detection inside the office and in the equipment storage areas.

Also I am reading that the minimum requirement for fire extinguishers is 2 class A per floor but the office is 5m2. Is this really necessary?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
joaorosa80
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Re: Advice on internal office walls lined with chipboard

Post by joaorosa80 »

Hi Josh,

Have a look at the below documents.
If you are doing a fire risk assessment under de fire reform order 2005, you need to follow what it is required in the Regs and not ending to the technical side and in the building control regs. I will consider the top office as just part of the storage and not as other compartmentation.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... dition.pdf
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... warehouses
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Advice on internal office walls lined with chipboard

Post by witsd »

Complete an FRA.

As part of this, consider how quickly someone in the office would be alerted to a fire in the access area, what routes are available to them and how quickly they should be able to leave.

Based on this, you can determine what is actually necessary.

Assuming the storage area contains smoke detection that would be audible within the office, then on the face of it, it doesn't seem like a much bigger issue than any other kind of inner room would normally be, but I may not be imagining the situation correctly!
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy